Trailer Brake Controller

mojito5000

Aug 20, 2019
Oregon
When I bought my truck many years ago it came with the original Prodigy brake controller. It worked good for the few times I used it. We bought a 26' travel trailer this year and the brake controller works intermittently, and then flashes errors on the LCD digit display.

I was looking for a replacement, and wondering what's the good stuff now. The Prodigy P3 looks awesome, but it doesn't like my vintage (2001) as a year it supports. As with most of the newer products.

What's everyone running that has a older truck?

mojito5000

Aug 20, 2019
Oregon
Correction, I have a Primus original version.

Are the reasons they don't list my truck as compatible is because they don't have a harness that fits my truck? The Primus I have has the same connector as the P3, it would be great if that was a drop in replacement.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Correction, I have a Primus original version.

Are the reasons they don't list my truck as compatible is because they don't have a harness that fits my truck? The Primus I have has the same connector as the P3, it would be great if that was a drop in replacement.
You can use any Tekonsha brake controller in your truck. The age of your truck does not matter as these simply have power, ground, brake signal, and output to trailer. You could wire it up on any vehicle with those 3 inputs.

It appears when you filter by year they show you only vehicle specific parts. Since the brake controller is not vehicle specific, it won't come up.

302500 is the adapter PN you need. If you already have it in your truck you can put in any Tekonsha controller and be up and running in minutes. For example, I had a P3 in my 1997 F350 and all I did was buy their harness for my truck and boom it worked great.

Reactions: mojito5000

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I used that Tekonsha adapter and bought a Redarc unit. It's completely out of the way and works great. Installed in minutes with that adapter.

Reactions: mojito5000

mojito5000

Aug 20, 2019
Oregon
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm glad I was on the right track.

The DirectLink controller, does it attach to the CAN network? If so, my truck missed that by 1 year.