Toyo M/T's vs. Goodyear Duratrac's vs. BFG M/T's

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Toyo M/T's vs. Goodyear Duratrac's vs. BFG KM2's

Since I've had the truck, I've ran BFG A/T's, Cooper Discoverer STT's and now on my second set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's. The ATZ's have done well with exception to a horrible vibration felt above 60 mph, but I would like a slightly more aggressive look. These tires will see a lot of highway use.

In your opinion, would you choose:
Toyo M/T's Goodyear Duratrac's BFG's KM2's

I have had multiple friends run Toyo M/T's on their Duramax's and have gotten 40-50k yet others have said they are HEAVY. IMO, they look the best. Goodyear Duratrac's are not as popular on heavy duty trucks. As for the BFG's, they have been around for years. I need more info in comparison to the other two.

Thanks.

Toyo M/t's
toyo_open_country_m_t_bw_350W.jpg

Goodyear Duratrac's
Goodyear-Duratrac.jpg

BFG KM2's
bfg_km2.jpg

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you cant get those BFG M/Ts anymore and if you did find them, they are old stock from few years ago.

the ones now are BFG KM2s which is what im currently running. i have over 30k on my 37s and they have about 1/3 tread left but these twins have not been nice to them lol. I have buddies that run the Toyos as well and they average about 40k out of them. I just went with the KM2s cause they were cheaper and more redily availible if i had a blowout some where

Sep 10, 2008
you cant get those BFG M/Ts anymore and if you did find them, they are old stock from few years ago.

the ones now are BFG KM2s which is what im currently running. i have over 30k on my 37s and they have about 1/3 tread left but these twins have not been nice to them lol. I have buddies that run the Toyos as well and they average about 40k out of them. I just went with the KM2s cause they were cheaper and more redily availible if i had a blowout some where

Thanks for the correction! I had completely forgotten about that :thumb:

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I think those will wear real fast on the street, I had ATZ's I liked them except the seem to peel apart easy if you do a burnout or just hard on it in general, the lugs were missing their centers on my truck. The Toyo MT and BFG MT's are loud on the road too.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I got the toyo m/ts now. Best big tire ive ever run. No odd vibrations, not as loud as most m/t tires but they sre heavy mf'ers. Youll notice the weight when you girst drive it but you get used to it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Heavy = low mpgs. :(

my tires and wheels weight 125lbs each and with this new tune from steve im almost back at 20mpg on the highway. before i blew the motor i averaged 20-21mpg on the same setup with my big non-areo pig lol

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
all we run are duratracs, awesome on the highway, very quiet, unbeatable in the snow. The toyos are super heavy, and super noisy, if you see a lot of highway, you will enjoy the duratracs better. I have 25k on my duratracs and stil have at the least half tread remaining. Rotating every 5k, no burnouts

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
my tires and wheels weight 125lbs each and with this new tune from steve im almost back at 20mpg on the highway. before i blew the motor i averaged 20-21mpg on the same setup with my big non-areo pig lol

No idea what this setup weighs but my old 40" trxxs tires on these wheels was about that weight. The toyos are 38s but considerably heavier. I managed 15 mpg on my last roadtrip but im pretty sure i need a converter:D i know that aint helpin my mileage any.

For those that think toyos are noisy, try runnin nitto extreme terrain tires...... that'll make you redefine noisy :rofl:

streetwise

Dec 8, 2009
Springfield OH
I have a set of 37-13.50 20 Toyos that I installed propr to SEMA 05 on a Suburban and have over 85000 miles on them. showing still great tire. I have a set of 33-12.5-20 on my 2500hd on about 6 weeks and right at 8000 miles wearing well. Best tire I have ever run.

Sep 10, 2008
My current setup of Mickey Thompson 35's and 20" wheels weigh 109.7 lbs. With Toyo M/T 35's and 20" wheels it would weigh 119.2 lbs. That's only a 10 lb difference per tire. Would an increase rotating total weight of 40 lbs really make a difference in reduced mileage?

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
Running the Duratracs on my wife's Dmax and am so far really happy with them. Only have about 7k on them, so hard to say how they will be at 40k, but the traction and lack of road noise is great.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My current setup of Mickey Thompson 35's and 20" wheels weigh 109.7 lbs. With Toyo M/T 35's and 20" wheels it would weigh 119.2 lbs. That's only a 10 lb difference per tire. Would an increase rotating total weight of 40 lbs really make a difference in reduced mileage?

I see ton of other varibles affecting your MPG quicker and more difinitively then 40lbs in tire weight.

I really like the Goodyear MT/R. its one hell of a great tire off road and in rocks and is still quiet as can be on the highway (quietest mud terrain ive ever ran or ridden in with). i run 35s on my samurai and they have close to 6,000 miles on them with a spooled rear end. still have 80% tread on the rear and 95% up front. they work awesome on a 2,800lbs rig :D

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If all you guys say the Duratracs are that nice to drive with they may be my next tire? ;)

Duratracs are hands down the baddest tire I have ever seen in every type of condition.... Snow and Ice they are incredible. Tire wear is very good for a tire that hooks on the ice so well.

As soon as the toyo at's are done, I will have a set on my truck.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I am running duratracs now as well, love the way they handle, the quietness. I only have a few thousand miles on them, so I cant comment on wear yet.

Sent from my MK16a using Tapatalk 2