Towing. Anyone use WD bars?

Hoojs12840

Jul 13, 2013
Maryland
I hooked up my camper tonight and it only brought the rear of the truck down 2-1/4 inches. Camper weights 5500-6000 loaded. The trucks damn near level without the bars hooked up. Is it necessary to use them? I know I can shift weight forward with them, but I haven't had a chance to run into the scale yet. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373970754.532989.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373970754.532989.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373970754.532989.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 97

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm assuming it is a camp trailer, not an in-bed camper plus a trailer.

A 6,000lb trailer is not a big deal. I tow more than that and never use a weight distribution setup.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
air bags if you can, much better than weight distributing hitches.

Also, if it's a camper you might look at ta $50 sway bar. On my 10-11K bumper pull 28' toy hauler I just use the sway bar. Rolls out as fast as I want to pull it with no wagging/sway. Before the little sway bar you couldn't go over 55 with anything in the toy box at the rear.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OP, just depends on how your trailer is weighted. if its pretty evenly distributed in weight, the bars wont do you much good. I agree with russ though, a sway bar is so nice in cross winds and just cruising down the highway.

On my toy hauler, i run the distribution bars pretty heavy when i have no load in the back and am going camping. there is alot of weight up front of the axles that really likes to load the rear of the truck. if i put my zuk in it or buggy, i load the bars pretty light as the trailer becomes much lighter on the tongue.

on a 6k trailer, i cant see you needing air bags.

Hoojs12840

Jul 13, 2013
Maryland
I have the sway bar, I usually attach it, and if it gets windy, I will tighten it up. Even with my Titan I never had any real issues with sway, but that's also mostly on the east coast also.

I'll hook them up just to be safe. It is nice when I just need to move the camper around the house I don't have to hook them up though.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
In some states I'm pretty sure you legally have to? In California I was told I had to by an RV center, but I'm a sucker and they may have been just trying to make a sale, since I was out of state I bought into their sale pitch. They help quite a bit and its really nice to have the sway control when it's windy on the interstate but you have to remember to release it when backing up:D I also run an aftermarket rear sway bar and air bags and when I tow it rides better than when it's solo. I think for the money it's a nice feature to have, even if only for a 6k trailer:thumb:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My trailer weighs about 7000 loaded out, and I use them. It is really nice to not have the back end get pushed down so far on bumps because the WD bars slow it down from pushing the back end down. REALLY helps to stop the sea saw effect when you hit big bumps. As for wether you NEED them or not, with that style hitch head you should use them, but if you had a hitch head without the bar hookups your fine without them. The hitch heads setup for WD bars normally use a screw to hold the hitch head up as they are adjusteable in most cases, and without the bars it puts a lot of faith in just an adjuster screw to hold all that tongue weight.

duranut03

Dec 20, 2010
North Carolina
My 35 footer weighs in at around 9k but doesn't really squat the truck much at all. I still run the wd bars because I think it adds to the stability. After 40 years of pulling a camper and being in all kinds of weather and traffic I say use anything that might give you an advantage and help you out of a bad situation. By all means use the sway bar if you are traveling much distance.

crbonline

Jul 10, 2013
you may not need them, but besides the price which ain't too bad especially second hand-under 100$ for hitch and WD and sway bars, but why would you not use them? Even if your truck is not sagging, the ride and control is sooo much better, even with light trailers I use them...and I have bags too. WD bars really help control the bouncing and bucking. Try them out and I think you'll see a significant improvement. But ultimately would agree, you probably don't need them with the weights you're working with.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
The WD bars help transfer some of the weight to the front end. That really makes a big difference in handling, braking, ride quality, etc. I've towed without them(just added air to the Firestone bags), and it's much better using the WD bars and the bags with a little less air, working together.

Aug 4, 2013
Willow Park, Texas
Glad too find this thread. Have the WD setup for our trailer (8200 loaded out) whne we were towing with the 1/2 ton. It was GREAT!

Reading up on the new-to-us 2500, the tow rating goes DOWN with WD. That confused me.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
air bags if you can, much better than weight distributing hitches.

sorry but wrong, bags do nothing about weight transfer to the front, WD bars add weight to the front axle (if adjusted correctly), just bringing the ass up to level with bags does not add stability, the weight is still removed, towing a bumper pull is totally diff then a 5er and running bags, and weight transfer stability. I do both and bars are needed with all the weight hanging 3 feet behind the axle

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Glad too find this thread. Have the WD setup for our trailer (8200 loaded out) whne we were towing with the 1/2 ton. It was GREAT!

Reading up on the new-to-us 2500, the tow rating goes DOWN with WD. That confused me.

I haven't seen or heard of that anywhere. I'm looking at the 2008 Silverado brochure and don't see anything that says tow rating is less with WD hitch. In looking at my hitch, the weight capy of the hitch itself goes UP if using WD.

Look here:

IMG_1470.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 21
Aug 4, 2013
Willow Park, Texas
Thanks, Ron, I'll have to find where I read that. Been reading so much, doing research before I bought it and justification now that I've got it, ;) that I don't remember where I saw that.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Measure bumper height.

Put 10-15% of the trailer weight on the hitch.

Now measure the bumper height.

Adjust the bars so to get back to original height.

Any trailer over 8000 should have equalizers. Or you stand the risk of jacknifing if you slam on the brakes.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

Not if the hitch is stout. The WD puts more stress on the hitch. If the hitch is overkill, WD improves weight handling.

I would NOT run without equalizers towing a Dmax.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I have WD bars on our TT...same weight as the trailer you tow. Helps a lot with stability.