LB7: Tow Haul Issue

daltongd

Sep 25, 2010
I have a 2002 LB7 with 243K that is running and shifting just fine. The last two times I have used it to haul my 5th wheel I noticed that the tow haul does not seem to be working right. The light comes on so its not that. The problem is the shift patterns don't seem to be right. Before when in tow haul it would not shift from 4th to 5th until 62 to 65 MPH and now its shifting around 55 mph. Its almost like there is no difference. Also the down shifting does not seem to be working like it should. When going down hills and I tap the break nothing happens when before it would down shift. I did some research and there is a tap shifter you can buy that will allow you to manually shift so that may be an option. Any ideas on what might be happening or what I should do?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I do know the wires get cut or worn around the shifter just under the plastic cover where the key goes. But usually the light won't come on. I would still start there. There's two really small wires.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What temp is the transmission running at when it doesn't seem to be acting normal?

daltongd

Sep 25, 2010
Less than 200 deg on this last trip I just took. A few years back I did a quick mod to my transmission cooler by building a air deflector to pass air by the cooler. The stock cooler is behind the bow tie and does not get good flow so the mod really helped out.

daltongd

Sep 25, 2010
The transmission acted the same during the whole trip. It was about an hour on Thursday and then an hour home again today. I tried engaging and disengaging the tow button several times. On the way up on Thursday it eventually seemed to do better and quit shifting from 4th to 5th at 55 mph.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Well looks like you're not the only one. I'm having the same exact issue on my lbz. Tow haul light is on but my shift pattern from 4th to 6th is near like normal mode, downshift doesn't work right half the time. Haven't looked into the issue yet but hopefully someone can chime in and see what the issue may be.