Total loss

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
Was T-Boned last night trying to back my boat in my driveway, 85 year old man “didn’t see me” and smacked me doing 40mph. Luclky I’m fine but insurance claimed the truck as a total loss, frame is bowed and the cab would need to be replaced. Driver side rear took the hit but the cab is tweaked pretty good. She just hit 155k miles a week a a lot of life in her.

Attachments

• 18B8EE47-E86E-463D-8A4E-ABDEC3AAF0CC.jpg
    18B8EE47-E86E-463D-8A4E-ABDEC3AAF0CC.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 217
  • B7235FA7-AB80-4F55-8154-2FD5B03989B0.jpg
    B7235FA7-AB80-4F55-8154-2FD5B03989B0.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 3759ADA1-4A99-4A1E-83FF-C5564AC6B26C.jpg
    3759ADA1-4A99-4A1E-83FF-C5564AC6B26C.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 189
  • 17348A25-3661-4FB1-8C2B-DAC1F27E2E14.jpg
    17348A25-3661-4FB1-8C2B-DAC1F27E2E14.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 184

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
I plan on buying her back, but just to take my turbo and lift pump things of that nature off and sell her. NYS is a nightmare trying to get a salvage vechical back on the road

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
Yeah if he was even 3ft forward more I would have gotten it. I had my head out the window watching the trailer and turned to use my mirror when I saw headlights and kinda leaned into the center console more before he hit. Sore back from the jolt, thankfully that’s all.

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
Sorry can’t part with the turbo going to test drive another lmm tomorrow an that will be the first thing going on :D

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
“Did you get any photos of the frame damage?”

No I don’t it’s, the slightest bend. but my insurance said “we won’t stretch a frame on a 2008 truck” they rather total it out then pay to put into on a frame rack

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
Dam, typical boat... They pay my bills so... What's wrong with it?

I blew the motor 3 weeks back, took a gamble an bought a “rebuilt” one on Craigslist because I didn’t have time to do it myself and this one has extreme blow by and maxes out at half throttle.

Wanted to thank y’all. I’m doing fine, not hurt just pissed took me forever to find that truck only had her for 6 months.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
NYS is a nightmare trying to get a salvage vechical back on the road

Sorry about your luck.

I rebuild "salvage" vehicles to "rebuilt" status. I'm in Michigan.

I recently sold my 03 to friends in New York. New York did not recognize the Michigan rebuilt title so they had to start over on the title recertification process.

It took a couples weeks to get the appointment, but it went off without a hitch. Very easy for them. And all of my documentation was from 2008, when I originally built that truck. Since 2008 I converted it from LB7 to LBZ, so the engine and trans had been changed. The transfer case was changed, the bed, both front fenders and rockers were replaced. I was honestly sweating the whole thing, but as long as no stolen parts show up, your fine.

They actually had more trouble with New York's annual safety inspection. My windows were tinted, a big no no in NY and to my surprise it needed ball joints as well. I made the ball joints right with them and the peeled the tint. Second trip through it passed.

Honestly your truck looks like an easy fix, from the pictures I cannot see where the cab would need to be replaced. (pictures can be deceiving though.)

The hit looks low, good frame shop will pull all of that out.

I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited:

Spank

Jan 19, 2016
Upstate NY
Sorry about your luck.

I rebuild "salvage" vehicles to "rebuilt" status. I'm in Michigan.

I recently sold my 03 to friends in New York. New York did not recognize the Michigan rebuilt title so they had to start over on the title recertification process.

It took a couples weeks to get the appointment, but it went off without a hitch. Very easy for them. And all of my documentation was from 2008, when I originally built that truck. Since 2008 I converted it from LB7 to LBZ, so the engine and trans had been changed. The transfer case was changed, the bed, both front fenders and rockers were replaced. I was honestly sweating the whole thing, but as long as no stolen parts show up, your fine.

They actually had more trouble with New York's annual safety inspection. My windows were tinted, a big no no in NY and to my surprise it needed ball joints as well. I made the ball joints right with them and the peeled the tint. Second trip through it passed.

Honestly your truck looks like an easy fix, from the pictures I cannot see where the cab would need to be replaced. (pictures can be deceiving though.)

The hit looks low, good frame shop will pull all of that out.

I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks. Yeah I stopped at the truck today to get some things out of and took another look at her again and can’t for the life of me see how the frame is bowed. He hit right at the rear cab mount. As for the cab it is repairable but ALOT of sheet metal work cutting/welding. The rocker panel from the center of my door back to the cab corner needs to be replaced along with the lower half of my B pillar, That buckeled and twisted. The floor back there crunched up with the floor support. I can replace the cab without a doubt but it will more than likely also have a salvage title then I would have to go to the DMV and explain how I took 2 salvage trucks and made one and I don’t know how’d they take that honestly.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Thanks. Yeah I stopped at the truck today to get some things out of and took another look at her again and can’t for the life of me see how the frame is bowed. He hit right at the rear cab mount. As for the cab it is repairable but ALOT of sheet metal work cutting/welding. The rocker panel from the center of my door back to the cab corner needs to be replaced along with the lower half of my B pillar, That buckeled and twisted. The floor back there crunched up with the floor support. I can replace the cab without a doubt but it will more than likely also have a salvage title then I would have to go to the DMV and explain how I took 2 salvage trucks and made one and I don’t know how’d they take that honestly.

As long as you have receipts for the parts, with VIN numbers from the donor trucks and those VIN numbers are not logged in as stolen, you'll be fine.

On a full cab replacement in Michigan, they will actually assign the truck a new VIN. Not sure about NY. But they know the replacement cab is from a salvage yard, that's why salvage yards exist.

I'd be willing to bet your cab can be saved.

Section off that rear corner, sleeve all of the welds. Have a frame shop set the rocker / B and C pillars. Have them rehang the rear door verify (tram) the hinge and striker surfaces.

Use epoxy primer on everything, the repairs will last the life of the truck.

My frame guy does awesome work, I take the vehicle to him fully torn apart, so he can get right to work. I pay in cash, he loves that. Looking at your truck, I would budget 1,500.00 to 2,000.00 for my frame guy. (and I always budget high). I'm sure there are shops in your area similar to my guy.

I'm not saying it's as easy as an oil change or anything, it's work. But if you like the truck, already have it built the way you want it, fixing it is an option. Depending on what the insurance company pays out, you could end up with a few bucks in your pocket.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thank you for that info about cab replacement. ^^ Ive been debating making a trip out west to find a new cab for mine and wondered how that would work.