Question: Torsion Bar crossmember bushings

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
Ive had my truck 3 years and noticed when I got it, it sagged on the left side. Cranked up the torsion bar to level, but the bolt didn't match the other side. Since then Ive not been able to keep an alignment for a duration that Im happy with, always chewing up tires. So its that time again and I started hunting around trying to figure out why. Ive come across these that I didn't know I had. Threw the level on the crossmember and noticed my gaps are not even side to side. One side hitting, while good gap on other side.

I see energy suspension makes poly replacements, but haven't seen a person use them in my searching(I admit, I suck at internet searching honestly). Worth it? Do I still need to remove the bracket from the frame as that is my main worry on this project?

Also, I do not know how long the truck sat unlevel. How long will a swaybar take sitting twisted before it has a permanent twist in it?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Left Tbar bolt is almost always screwed in farther that the right. Fuel tank/driver weight has to be figured in.....

Dorman makes the Tbar Xmember outer mount bushings. There's also a nice DIY thread floating around the internet to help with their replacement.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I put the energy bushings in mine, and from what I remember there's only a listing for the 07-10 trucks. I installed them anyway, had to grind a nice bevel to get the bushings started, even then it was a very tight fit. To get the cross member high enough to replace the passenger side I removed the exhaust front pipe. Drivers side went together ok.

I did not notice any difference other than it not rattling anymore. Are your lca bushings wore out? I changed my lowers to energy parts at the same time.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
Bac, thanks for info on always being in further. But still don't think that's why my truck sagged to the left almost a full inch when I got it(used). I know dorman makes the bolt on brackets.

Pure. Mine is an 08, forgot to mention that. So they are "made for mine". I figured I would have to fully remove the crossmember?? I would "assume" the aligner would tell me if the lca bushings where bad. They have declined alignments on some of my other rides due to damaged parts. They know me well and know I do a majority of my own repairs.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My 08 has 100k and has been garage kept since new and my Lca bushing are about toast. Even the GM replacement bushings for the t bar member is bolt in, I replaced mine twice in 200k on my LLY

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Bac, thanks for info on always being in further. But still don't think that's why my truck sagged to the left almost a full inch when I got it(used). I know dorman makes the bolt on brackets.

Pure. Mine is an 08, forgot to mention that. So they are "made for mine". I figured I would have to fully remove the crossmember?? I would "assume" the aligner would tell me if the lca bushings where bad. They have declined alignments on some of my other rides due to damaged parts. They know me well and know I do a majority of my own repairs.

I had room to push mine upwards and slide the bushings in from the rear. I don't see how these being bad would chew a set of tires up, the drivers side on mine was sloppy and never wore a tire funny.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
wvr, I'm at 200k and they look stock.

Pure. Thanks, I'll take a look at other things myself while I have it jacked up replacing these.

Dale08

Jul 29, 2016
AR
Ok, so as mentioned, when I got the truck, the left was sagging. It was on the bump stop and has destroyed the bump stop. The right is touching, but not destroyed. As per my reading, even the right is too low and need to raise the whole nose, and at least replace left stop(my ocd I like to do everything in pairs though). If the destroyed stop is allowing the left to travel more, maybe this is part of my issue?

When I say, chews up tires. I buy used ones due to this, and in 6-9 months the tire is worn the outer edges to the point its obvious. I get an alignment each time I put tires on. I put the used fronts on the rear and finish them out on the rear.

Each time, while it is the right tire that wears the most, it is always the left that needs adjusted. It is my left cross member bushing that looks out of place.

While my torsion bolts aren't "buried". My right one is sticking out just a hair from the crossmember, my left is cranked in about 1/4" below level with crossmember.

I have not dx'd my swaybar to see if its warped from unknown years of sagging.

I think this is all stuff I need to review this time as I'm going to be traveling more for work and tired of putting tires on.

:edit: When I bought the truck, it had a massive cow catcher on the front too, that was the first thing to go!!

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Sounds like front end rebuild needs to be performed upper and lower control arms may have excessive play on bushings at essentrics. Jack the truck up just enough to unload front end and place your hands at 12 and 6 o clock see if you have movement in and out. Check the hubs see if they have play. I would start with inner and outer tie rods, hubs, and upper control arms and possibly lower control arms and new pitman and idler arm. Then have or find a old fashion alignment shop do the alignment the new computer alignment machines aren't as good for older pitman idler setups as one might think :thumb: