tires

Southgaduramax

Apr 21, 2009
Cairo, Ga
Quick question for all you agriculture people feeding america out there. i have had some trouble keeping tires on my truck for longer than a year. i started off with cooper st and i got two sets of those i dont remember the exact milage but i didnt feel it was too good then i got a set of bfg alt and now it time for some new rubber. i dont really know where to go or stick with the same tires. my family farms so i definitely need some tires with some good traction so i dont get stuck 24/7 but i also would like some tires that tend to last a while. and another question i have is about using nitrogen instead of air to fill your tires with? is there a difference with the nitrogen? thanks for any help i can get

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
The coopers should have worn good. Might try the toyo m/t next time, they have a hard compound that wears good.

If you tow a lot of heavy loads then you are going to wear tires pretty quick, especially mud tires

delivered via tapatalk by your forum daddy!!

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My Dad and I both ran a set of BFG 285's. He tows 80% of the time, I tow 10% of the time, and I easily have 2x the horsepower and torque, and a much heavier foot.

However, my tires lasted 60k miles, and his lasted 25k. It is all in how you drive and what you do. Towing, especially on gravel, just destroys tires. I haven't seen a tire that will last under those conditions.

Southgaduramax

Apr 21, 2009
Cairo, Ga
ok thanks guys. anybody have any knowledge on putting nitrogen in their tires instead of air. or is it just away for the tire people to get some extra money out of you?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Really the only way your going to get a set of tires that really last is to switch to commercial size rim like 19s and run HD tires.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
ok thanks guys. anybody have any knowledge on putting nitrogen in their tires instead of air. or is it just away for the tire people to get some extra money out of you?
I have several friends that race in the dodge viper acrx spec racing series and i go to be their mechanic on staff and they run nitrogen fill in their tires and the pressure gain with heat after a 15 min session with nitrogen is about half what it is with regular air causing less "crowning" of the tire which equals slower wear.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
X2 cant beat semi tires
I ran a set of semi tires on an old Jeep J20 pickup. They were indestructible, but had absolutely NO traction off road. I forget the exact ones I ran.

Of course, I had a pretty trick 472 cubic inch Cadillac motor in there, which might have been most of the problem with traction :thumb: I still miss that truck, but at 6 MPG, I couldn't afford to drive it!

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I would love to get 25,000 out of my tires :roflmao: Not that I know much about tires or anything but I would think that a load range E would last longer than D atleast? I had a set of terra grapplers (suck) and so did my buddy and hes still got plenty of tread on them. I think the only difference was the load range.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Ive got 36k on my load range D terra grapplers and still have 15k left on them but a load range E wull last longer as it is a harder tread compound.