Tire and rim diameter, width, and weight at the strip

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
I will be buying a reg cab soon and making it into as much of a street/strip beast as much as I possibly can. I am looking into how to lighten everything as much as possible and which on the rim and tire side of things it looks like the only weight savings can really be had in the rim. With still having a daily driveable tire it only varies a couple pounds from a R17 to an R20 (only sizes that have 275 or above width), but theres a 9 to 10 lbs difference in some rims but all I find for an R17 rim is a 30" tall tire so I would probably have to change to 3.42 gears. The basic questions I have are:

1. If I did the 17's with the 30" tire would it be worth it to to change the gearing and have the weight savings?

2. With a 30" tire and 3.42's I would likely end the pass in 5th which is past the 1:1 ratio so will that be a major downfall?

3. With having a smaller diameter tire will I be able to cut better 60's and just overall get going faster?

4. For the R17 tire the widest is 275, so would I would I be better off sticking with an R20 tire for the 305 and extra contact area, or have the rotational weight savings on the R17?

5. Is the look of having that small of a tire on a such a big truck enough to not even want to do it at all?

I plan to get deep into the 11's which from what I've seen shouldn't go past 130mph so i would be topping out 5th on a 30" tire and 3.42's.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
You can get 285\60\17 toyo proxes. I ran 275 Falken ziex at the strip on 17s and a horrible setup of bad ball joints and blown shocks and cut a 1.8 60 foot in my crew can short bed

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
Are you referring to the ST II? I thought they were crap compared tho the origional ST? Only ziex tire I can find is 18+ on rim size

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
The shorter size didn't bother me either but I would like to go to 342 gears as well. Not because I need to or it revs super high or anything, mostly to try em out. My avatar is 285 toyos lowered 3 inches. Fills it out pretty decent another inch or so taller would be better. I think I got my falcons from tire rack and I hated those and they looked gay. Just to skinny of a wheel on the pyos, maybe with a wider the wheel the Falcons could look and do better

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
For track use nothing is as light as M&H DOTs on a set of PYOs. That being said, you can cut 1.6s on All-Terrains. The Nitto 420 is a good tire if youre leaning more toward the performance side. Raceline & Weld make some nice, lightweight wheels if youre willing to spend some loot.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My original Toyos on PY0s would cut low 1.6x all the time, only time they didnt was b/c of my driving. ;)

When it comes to launching, a lot of it is driver consistency and knowing your vehicle/setup limits.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I had my old style proxes on american eagle 589s 16x8, I swapped the tires over to pyos to fit on my buddies trailer
I weighed the 2 wheels when I was swapping them & the 589s were a pound heavier than the pyos

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
Well doing more research I'll be going with the proxes since I emailed nitto on the 275/60r17 420s and they weigh almost 10 lbs more per tire then the 285/60r17 proxes II's.

On to a wheels thought, will a rim with an +18mm offset help control toe in on a launch and higher hp trucks going down the track? I was just thinking that if the wheel has a lot of negative offset and allows the tire to stick out, the more leverage it has to toe in? Or does it not matter?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
My toyos are on stock lmm wheels so I don't have much of a toe in issue. But the farther the tire sticks out the more leverage it's gonna have.