Time for a water pump

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Today when I got home from work I noticed a leak under my truck while I was mowing the lawn. Checked it out & have coolant coming out of the weep hole of the water pump.

I've read about Danville's pinned pumps being the better option when I come to reliability. I live 2 blocks from 2 machine shops. Is there any reason I can't source a pump from one of the local auto parts store & have one of the machine shops pin it for me? Is there anything different from Danville's pump vs local parts store other than it being pinned?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
There is no reason you cant have your own pinned or welded by a competent shop. Just be warned, that shaft is plenty hard to try to drill thru. There was a thread recently about someone trying it themselves and ...whoops....if you know what I mean.
The whole reason that Henry, Danville, etc sell them is its a convenient option for most people.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the response. Nice write up on the pump replacement Bac.

When I chat with my machine shop is there a specific type of pin that needs to be used?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks, but that write up is ancient now. Get the Lisle tool set (36mm socket and flywheel holder). Makes the job a lot easier.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Thanks, but that write up is ancient now. Get the Lisle tool set (36mm socket and flywheel holder). Makes the job a lot easier.

Yup, bought the Lisle tool. Its nice to read about a project before you go balls deep & so I can plan out how many beers I'll need to get the job done.

My machine shop is going to pin the pump for me. Do both sides need to be pinned or just the gear side?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
^definitely

Water pump is easy, only takes a couple hours at a relaxed pace. Don't sweat it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bill H

Street Toy
Aug 25, 2011
VA
Water Pump

Go with a pinned pump, Danville Performance They have always treated me well.:thumb:

vern650

Mar 27, 2014
hyrum, ut
is it just a simple roll pin being used for this? My lly recently started leaking as well and I work at a machine shop so was thinkin bout givin this a go myself.

306866lance

Jun 26, 2013
Pin size

is it just a simple roll pin being used for this? My lly recently started leaking as well and I work at a machine shop so was thinkin bout givin this a go myself.

Anybody know the answer to this? What size is the pin danville uses? A guy would think any roll pin would be enough.