LB7: Ticking and running strange

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
So I just did headgaskets and studs on the truck. It's been back together for a week now but with work being so busy I just got out in the garage to start it yesterday. I left the ficm unhooked and turned it over a while to prime the oil. I started it and it's got a tick and strange exhaust note. Not as loud as any stuck injector I've seen and there's no smoke once I let it warm up and cook off anything that may have been in the cylinders. I've got no codes and can't find any loose wiring. Balance rates look fine to me. Also replaced the FPR and added a downpipe. Not sure which way to look. I used dvt to shut down the injectors and when I shut off number 3 the idle smooths out but the noise is still there. Valve lash is dead nuts on .011 and was checked many times. I also used assembly lube on all the valve train parts after I cleaned them thoroughly and soaked them in oil. Also cleaned the injectors and installed new lines. Image1460236065.724718.jpghttps://vimeo.com/162210880https://vimeo.com/162210927

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Image1460236065.724718.jpg
    Image1460236065.724718.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 46

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sounds valve train related. In the video it sounds more pronounced in the engine compartment, so most likely intake side. I'd say reset lash per the recommended procedure. I know you said it checks fine, but make sure you set it in the correct order/sequence.

Take the cold side intercooler pipe off and idle the engine, if you can feel air puff back through you have an intake valve hanging open.

Were the heads checked when you had them off? How many miles?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Did you Rotate the engine over at least 10 revolutions after you set the lash? Then Re-check? I know I just went through this on my LB7, I set everything to spec but didn't rotate the engine over after i set all of them. Started the truck and it was tapping, After pulling it all back apart at least 1/2 of the valve train was out of spec.

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I did the whole thing twice. Set the lash. Rotated 10 revolutions. Went back around and checked. 10 more revolutions and checked again. Not saying it's impossible, but I tried to be thorough. The tapping is bad, but the exhaust note and slight miss is what's got me baffled. Going to scope it and listen around and take some notes before I pull the valve covers off.

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
I had a similar problem and found that one of the valve bridges was not installed correctly (sitting crooked) giving me a false 12thou. Just my .02 good luck with issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Can't work on it until Thursday but plan on taking the valve covers off for a start. Cylinder number one tdc compression stroke. Set lash. One revolution set lash. Rotate 10 times. Repeat.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I had a similar problem and found that one of the valve bridges was not installed correctly (sitting crooked) giving me a false 12thou. Just my .02 good luck with issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

You mean it was 180deg off? Trying to figure out what you mean by "Not installed correctly":confused: I know if there in backwards the injectors won't fit between them but not sure how that would give you a false 12thousands even if they were backwards (Up side down) ?

kenp313

Feb 14, 2016
When i installed it i must not have pushed down on it from the middle which made it sit uneven. When I looked at it I noticed it was sitting at an obvious angle. When I pushed on it in moved down into position with a slight click noise. I then reset lash and all was good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Well it's up and running and all is good. Replaced the injector and re-set the lash. Cyl #3 had fuel sitting in it. It's all good now. Except that I forgot to hook the line back on the bottom of the pcv box.