Thinking out loud???? Twins Questions.....

BigWill_21

~BULL HURLEY Look-A-Like~
Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
Would it be possible to run Twins on a LLY using the stock turbo???

I don't know how ti works as in.. Compounded etc...

But could you leave your stock turbo and then add another and would it be beneficial heat wise and still be streetable???

Thanks, just thinkign out loud????

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
Thats like the only way he does it. Unless you want 900-1000 HP, in which the top turbo could be like a GT40, kind of like nasty girl which has an HTT top turbo I believe, he only does with the stocker on top.

BigWill_21

Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
Is there a kit out for this???

That I coudl do myself at the shop????

What Motor upgrades would be necessary??? STUDS, head work, rods??? I'd love to do this and not ahve to tear the motor apart... I don't want 50 PSI of boost or anything, just don't want to swap out my Stock turbo to somethign that would kill me at TOWING or STREETABLE-NESS!!!

BTW: MPI?? Who si that???

Thanks,
WILL

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
Maximized Performance, Nathan Wright, he did nasty girl's twins, Sp33d's twins, and a few other guys. You won't kill the motor if you don't add dual CP3s

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
O5LLY2500HD from the DP had his twins setup with the stock as one turbo, not sure what his other turbo was though. His motor is down right now, not sure if the twins were the problem or not, but you could PM him.

BigWill_21

Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
I'd liek to look ino this kind fo setup expecially it if will net a decent 12.5 - 13.0 sec. truck and still be 100% drievable..

Thsi would be on my LLY of course, and it's already got 35,xxx mi. so that is what is worryign me!!! Problem is engien work... NOBODY out here does D-max building and It's beyond me to tear into one!!! I'd liek to leave STOCK internals!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm :cool2:

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Idaho CTD on the diesel place is who you need to talk to. He sells twin turbo kits that use the stock turbo for the small one. IdahoRob ran this setup on his stock motored CC/SB 04 LLY and ran a best of 11.8x. He sold the truck and Nathan used his truck to build a prototype for the LBZ trucks. That truck has been 11.8x also. From what I hear the LLY is still running around Hawaii with the stock engine in it. I know Rob put several hundered 1/4 mile passes on that engine and it's still going strong if that says anything for the durability of the kit.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
:Dgeeezzzeee. so many choices, too little money, I'm willing to be a beta tester for all these upgrades, or if somebody wants to adopt a middle age kid....

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I want twins bad. I talked to Nathan today and he's got some interesting idea's for the furture.

The twin set-up with the stock top charger is fairly common. I saw TimLB7 go a 12.39 (first pass ever) in a 8,000lb dually, with Nathans set-up. It is a pricey upgrade and you have to modify a lot of stuff under the hood.
The benefit is lower drive pressure and low egt's.
Stock rod's should be ok with a single pump and moderate tuning. But I didn't say that if they bend. Call Nathan or Pat. They are the experts in this area.
Keep us posted on your decision.

BigWill_21

Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
I just don't want to lose Streetability or any towing ability!!!

And 2 of anythign is usually better than 1...

Guess a Tranny should coem first of coarse!!!

What kind of Turbo shoudl be used on the bottom??? Is it supplied with the kit I assume??

I'll try and reach NATHAN i guess and talk things over with him, I wish his website had more to it, liek price and pics, etc...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
i wouldnt think you would loose any drivability
Nasty tows a trailer with his truck and says he has no issues i have heard this from lots of guys that run the twins so its not just him

the stock turbo especially on the lly will spool easy on the bottom end and then let the big brother take over to reach some high boost pressures
with a lower drive pressure overall

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
It should be no problem towing with twins. Nathans bottom turbo is super secret, only people like him and nasty girl know. The twins look very efficient. I think if and when we build the motor, we will twin the GT40, with something on the lines of a GT47 an go for a streetable 800 RWHP.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The twins do a wonderful job and Nathan has sone a good thing for the dmax community. However for streetablity, always keep in mind that (a few have heard this from me already) a candle that burns twice as bright, last half as long, and so on and so forth. A fact you must accept when making more power. I've found in motors that have been pushed significantly that one thing that most others haven't taken into account is that major bearing wear is taking it's toll, even on the rod small end bearing which means the rods will need to be replaced any way.

Michael

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Nasty has a T-6 mount, not the standard unit on twin set-up. Saw it up close at MA. Torsion bar adjustment required on the pass side. It's BIG..............