Info: Testing the waters Ally 5spd to 6spd manual swap

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Ok i might get some members that flog me for this but thats fine i will take the criticism but this is what i wanna do.

I wan to swap my 5spd allison to a 6spd manual tran and i am wondering what the cost would be over building the ally(it would be cheape to fix a broken 6 speed or replace a clutch cause i can do that stuff rather than pay for a new automatic) and if anyone has ever done it.

I plan on eventualy getting into hot shotting and towing heavy with m truck( i bought it to use it) and i want reliability from it and i can go with power reliability plus less money to do a manual.

Is there anyone here who has done this swap or heard of this swap and or knows of someone who has done it and what it would cost, i will do the work myself with the help of somene in the AZ area that knows more about manuals and that sort of stuff i do i have the general shade tree mechanics knowledge of it.

It should be just swapping dash, ECM, trans, pedal set, column, clutch master cylindar and what else? i figure i can try to find a doner vehicle but does anyone know of a kit to do this?

I will ave more questions as i think of them but as of right now i am planning on the SC4 kit for the ally and i dont feel like spending 4800.00 on a trans i cant fix myself if something goes wrong and will be expensive to fix at that(plus an auto isnt the best for heavy towing).

Before anyone flames me i didnt get the manual to begin with cause the wife cant drive manual and i am in the military so i get deployed as i am right now(but now she has a car she can drive) and i dont feel like trying to trade this truck on one that is a manual as i have already done a few mods and i dont wanna waste any more time trying to find someone to do a straight trade or what not(plus i wanna spend as little money a possible, i know this will cost but not as much as that)

LOL Mike dont be mad at me bud im just trying to save money.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated in this. again please only constructive comments i am trying to buy the stuff before i get home so i can start the swap right away and i need the best advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Im mainl looking fpr the better towing, reliability(under big power when messing arond), and ease/cheap to fix factors of this.

Im not looking to be the fastest down the strip or anything( i might not ever see the strip with this truck nor a pulling track) i just want this truck to be a work horse.

Later on i am getting the wife a dmax EC SB auto and she wants it fast so that will be the toy.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
The Allison is a very stout tranny in stock form as long as the power is kept to a minimum. Stock for stock the ally will hold more power than the ZF6. The factory clutch sucks. By the time you find a Zf and buy a better clutch, get you driveshafts redone and get all the miscelaneous parts need for the swap you will have more money invested than if you just built the ally.

We just did a 5spd swap into my buddies 12v and at the end of the project he had about 5k wrapped up in it. He could have just built the auto for 3500-4k

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
4800 dollars to build an allison???? Yeah right!!

I assume you're getting your info from the tiny little group of ZF6 kool-aid drinkers??

ben

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
I have already talked with mike about the SC4 kit and ts almost 5k if i do this swap i can sell my auto and make some of my money back but again i just want this truck to be a tow pig mainly and every now and then play with it but no racing on the strip or anything.

I want the ease of servicability an the act i now how fx the main thing that will go out before anything else the clutch lol. If something happens to the ZF it will be cheaper to fix than the ally and if not im willing to pay for it cause i plan to tow heavy with the truck and thats why i want the manual.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have like 2900 or so in my built allison including fluid and its got 90k miles and has held twin turbos, built motor, etc..

its just an "old school" suncoast 4, from late 2005. I did have to have the converter refreshed, but it didnt cost much. The trans itself has never been out of the truck since I built it.

ben

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Ok again id just rather have the maual in my truck and i need info on the process not people trying to alk me out of it, i am not trying to be harsh but come on.

I understand yal points but i have already talked with mike about the SC$ kit and i might go throigh with it i i cant do this with my truck, i just would rather have the manual for what i am gonna use my truck for. Yall use it to race and go fast(i am sure thats not all you do) i will use it for work like towing and such, id rather have the manual.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Don't do this swap if you think you can sell your current trans to help recoup some of the costs....because if you got $500-$1000 out of your Allison you would be lucky.

Buy a SC kit and be done with it. :rolleyes:

James Hess

Jun 9, 2008
Tucson AZ.
Its really almst pointless to post anything isnt it :rolleyes:, i requested for usefull replies and i am not trying to be rude about this, i would rather have the manual than the ally since its what i wanted in the first place i didnt get it cause the wife doesnt know how to drive one but im gonna teach her and she now has a car i want it).

Now does anyone have an info on the swap that will help me?

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
your gonna need the ZF6 out of a 4wd, shifter, shifter boot, clutch pedal, brake pedal, Clutch, flywheel, hydraulics, possible tranny mount, lengthen or shorten driveshafts, some way to make the ECM happy w/o the alli (EFI Live).

I dont know if they make a autotrac with the zf6 you may possibly need a floor shifter. The list of small odds and ends can get long

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
yep...if you currently have the push button 4wd thats just another bunch of wiring mess you'll have to deal with because the ZF6 only works with the manual floor shift xfer case. I assume you dont have Bose stereo or a center console right?

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
bad idea, ally is way better for towing etc.... sell it and buy a common rail with 6spd if your set on having a manual tranny

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
yep...if you currently have the push button 4wd thats just another bunch of wiring mess you'll have to deal with because the ZF6 only works with the manual floor shift xfer case. I assume you dont have Bose stereo or a center console right?

Thats what I though......its gonna get expensive quick.

Maybe your best bet is finding someone who wants a alli in their ZF truck and just swap.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Check with Johnboy or 01duramax6speed.

I personally wanted a zf6 truck...got sick of searching and bought this truck. I am completely happy with the Alli for towing, t/h mode is great. FYI...an Alli will be easier on drivetrain parts with a heavy load...less shock load/unload on the driveshaft, u-joints, rear, etc.

The SC4 trucks I have rode in/driven are amazing...takes all the "slush" away. An SC4 would take away any doubt for me towing anything with the Alli.

Not exactly what you want to hear...but you definately want to weigh all possible options before trying such a swap.