Territorial Dog Help.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Been having issues with our male Basset Hound puppy (Brutus) being very possessive and territorial over things. Vet and others said its odd that he's like this at 6 months old, usually doesn't happen until they are over a year. He started it about a month ago with the couch, if you tried to move him when he was laying there he would growl and if you pushed it further he would nip at you. Everywhere else though it never mattered he was fine, normal and never would get upset if you touched him, just that one spot.

We had planned on neutering him anyways and figured that would help as it has with most dogs in the past. It's been almost a month now since hes been fixed and its only gotten worse. Not so much with us, but he has gotten a lot more agressive with our female Basset Hound (Fred) who is 1.5 years old. He's been agressive with the food since we got him at 2 months old, I don't know if he had to be at the place we got him or what but he would always make sure he ate all of the food and all of the water, he literally would not stop and would bloat up twice his size then like a garden hose walk around peeing non stop everywhere just clear water. He's gotten better about only eating and drinking what he needs but he has gotten worse about defending the food and water. If he sees the female dog looking at him he will growl and if she moves at all he takes off after her then runs back to the food.

Fred won't fight him for it at all, never really has so we feed her seperate if we have to. I do wonder maybe if she made him somewhat agressive as a puppy though. I never could tell if she didn't like him or just didn't know how to play with him. Always felt bad for the poor guy because she would take his toys and if he would just want to run around she'd run up and tackle him. He'd fight back some but he was just a little guy then now hes the same size as her. You'd swear they hated each other but they'd whine when they were separated.

Its gotten to the point now that Fred just tip toes around the house hiding under chairs and gnawing on stuff which I know can be a sign of them being nervous. I think she's really scared of him now. Once and awhile he will go after her and bite her, no blood but its not a friendly bite. They'll go at it for maybe 10-15 seconds once and awhile.

He's not a bad dog really and the things the will set him off are extremely predictable. I went through an obedience class with him and he was great, listened perfect and learned most things fast which is good for a typically dumb dog breed.

A lot of people have suggested a shock collar which I plan on trying but was looking for some good ideas on the proper way to try and break his habits with it. Also open to any other ideas, if it stays the way it is or keeps getting worse we'll have to get rid of him. Really don't want to if I don't have to, just got him in October but I'm not the type of person that gets too attached to their pets to not realize when they need to leave either.

Maybe he's as pissed about this winter as the rest of us.

Thanks.

This was how they were sleeping the one day, doesn't look comfy but Fred didn't seem to mind.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Maybe time will take care of this issue. Our dogs (both female and both very friendly and people lovers) fought a couple times within the first year and a half if acclimation. That was a long time ago and they are fine now and best buds. They still cannot eat together as food seems to be the only thing they can get territorial over. Once he establishes himself as the alpha I predict there will be less issues. Obviously your female has given in but the male decides whe his point is made.

HE BETTER NOT BE PEEING ON YOUR HARDWOOD FLOORS!!!

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
Fred is a girl? Male dogs are a holes
I have owned over 30 .dogs I.Have a cane corso a pit bull a sheppard and a newfoundland and they get along great.but all females.
Some males will always be dominate no matter what.Bassett are made for hunting/tracking.
Hard to train like a beagles
My cane corso acts up once in awhile I put the fear of god in her one day .She still mean to others just not mine
Might grow out of it but It can get a lot worse too.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Fred is a girl? Male dogs are a holes
I have owned over 30 .dogs I.Have a cane corso a pit bull a sheppard and a newfoundland and they get along great.but all females.
Some males will always be dominate no matter what.Bassett are made for hunting/tracking.
Hard to train like a beagles
My cane corso acts up once in awhile I put the fear of god in her one day .She still mean to others just not mine
Might grow out of it but It can get a lot worse too.

Yes we wanted a Basset and were going to name it Fred after the one in Smokey and the Bandit but wanted a female for the very reason you mention, they are almost always better dogs. Out of all of the male dogs we have had at the farm in my life the one we have now is the only one thats been decent really but he is a total wimp.

Keep a strong right hand on him

I usually try to show him he's not the boss, but he will bite then if you aren't careful. need to get a muzzle for him.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
I usually try to show him he's not the boss, but he will bite then if you aren't careful. need to get a muzzle for him.

May sound messed up but grab him by the throat, not enough to choke him just enough to get his attention, and look him in the eyes. Try and give him your mad face. It sounds stupid but it has worked for me in the past when an ass whopping didn't work.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Make him work for his food. If he goes for the other dog beat the shit out of him. Kennel him during the day and leave the other dog out. Show him hes not the boss. Never let a growl or nip slide. My dogs are hunting dogs. They sleep inside and have it good. They are total lovers but they know who the boss is. My girl can be tough as she was a rescue but the aformentioned techniques straightened her out in a few months. Just never let an undesirable behavior slide. I would even feed the other dog and not the boy. Make him sit his ass there ten feet or so back and watch. If he moves pick him up and put him back as many times as it takes.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Don't beat the dog up that's not going to be the answer..maybe here isn't the best place to ask. I have one dog who is the most submissive loving dog I've ever met and we have never laid a hand on her. I always loved bassetts and wish you the best with them I hope you can get him figured out.

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
A choker collar is great for training.But make sure you put it on right.Otherwise you can hurt him
choker should always release as you let go on the leash
trained all my pits and others

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I would suggest grabbing him by the mussle firmly without hurting him and forcing him to look you in eyes and telling no with a deep tone. As soon as he even starts to get upset with you grab him immediately, don't give him anytime to think he might be in control. As soon as he gets down or follows whatever instruction you gave him immediately praise him for it. The key is consistently doing it everytime, don't let him get away with ignoring you or growling/nipping at you.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
While I don't condone beating a dog for no reason I do believe that some need to be shown that you the owner are the alpha and it's your pack. But it depends on the dog. I have 3 male dogs, a 1 year old lab mix who is and has always listened and been submissive and I've never had to scare him. A 4 year old great Dane who was abused by previous owners. How someone could abuse a gentle giant like him is beyond me, there isn't a mean bone in a Dane. He listens out of fear and gets scared if you raise a hand at him, even just to pet him. It is sad but he's slowly learning to trust us and forget the bad people. Then there's the 8 month old pit/curr mutt. He was incredibly stubborn. Always barking at neighbors, mean to other dogs, guarding food and growling at the lab when he tries to eat, and being mean to the lab when he tries to sit on the couch with me. We tried scolding and light thumps on the nose but one day he was being a big time pain in the ass I grabbed him up by the collar and lit him up with a rolled up magazine. He was terrified. But ever since he has listened and behaved as obediently as a service dog. He is as sweet as can be, great with other dogs, and will eat out of the same food bowl as the lab. It just took me showing who was in charge for him to make a 180.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Don't beat the dog up that's not going to be the answer..maybe here isn't the best place to ask. I have one dog who is the most submissive loving dog I've ever met and we have never laid a hand on her. I always loved bassetts and wish you the best with them I hope you can get him figured out.

Theres a difference between beating and discipline. I asked here because its a group of normal people. The dog people all say train him with positive encouragement.

No discipline and always rewarding children is working out good too isnt it.....

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
While I don't condone beating a dog for no reason I do believe that some need to be shown that you the owner are the alpha and it's your pack. But it depends on the dog. I have 3 male dogs, a 1 year old lab mix who is and has always listened and been submissive and I've never had to scare him. A 4 year old great Dane who was abused by previous owners. How someone could abuse a gentle giant like him is beyond me, there isn't a mean bone in a Dane. He listens out of fear and gets scared if you raise a hand at him, even just to pet him. It is sad but he's slowly learning to trust us and forget the bad people. Then there's the 8 month old pit/curr mutt. He was incredibly stubborn. Always barking at neighbors, mean to other dogs, guarding food and growling at the lab when he tries to eat, and being mean to the lab when he tries to sit on the couch with me. We tried scolding and light thumps on the nose but one day he was being a big time pain in the ass I grabbed him up by the collar and lit him up with a rolled up magazine. He was terrified. But ever since he has listened and behaved as obediently as a service dog. He is as sweet as can be, great with other dogs, and will eat out of the same food bowl as the lab. It just took me showing who was in charge for him to make a 180.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Exactly you have to show the dog your the boss all my Danes had 4 of them best dogs in the world but because of there size from a early age I instill that I am the alpha in the house and never have issues

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Dont get me wrong I dont mean club it to death. Think about it if a dog gets pissed at another they bark or bite. How are you going to teach them another language? Its pressure and reward. Read any number of books about te aining dogs (that arent by hippies). My rescue girl was food and object possessive as well and she is happy and trusting now because she knows she doesnt have to fight for everything. Its a balance.

Lbzmax90

Aug 11, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Lock eyes with him and don't look away until he backs down try this exercise with him for a couple days and see how it goes. I have a 3 year old rot and it worked wonders. For the aggression towards food only allow him to eat when you say it's ok and really that goes with treats and toys he can only have them when you say it's ok. You need to show him who is boss. Give him a smack on the chest and firmly tell him no when he gets out of line. (I'm not saying smack the shit out of him but a good tap will do the job). And exercise also helps anything you can do to burn off energy helps. Sorry I know I jumped around a lot but if you want specifics I can go into further detail. There are some great commands you can teach him that would help a lot.

Last edited:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
What you need to do is establish yourself as the Alpha male.

Think "pack mentality"

Right now your pup is maturing and his natural instincts are starting to come out.

Why do male dogs of the same pack fight each other? To establish dominance plain and simple.

I am not for hitting an animal over little stuff, but this is one time when you need to show your dog that it can not beat you and that you will kick its ass.

I have an 80lb male Catahoula, still has his nuts too. Several months ago he was a complete asshole.
He nipped at me one night and thats when we duked it out. I beat his ass then pinned him to the ground. He was growling like hell but i kept a fist full of scruff on his neck and kept him pinned until he was hopless and quite and not moving.

After that bout he was a completely different dog.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
May sound messed up but grab him by the throat, not enough to choke him just enough to get his attention, and look him in the eyes. Try and give him your mad face. It sounds stupid but it has worked for me in the past when an ass whopping didn't work.

X2.
You need to make him submit when he is aggressive or tries to be possessive. He needs to know your the boss and the dominant one. Don't yell but scold him in a powerful voice letting him know he was doing something you don't approve of. And dominant physical contact is important when doing this.

Make him pee a little and put the fear of God in to him. After awhile he won't challenge you anymore. Might take a month or so.

Your missus or whoever also should show dominance towards him. They can sense when someone is nervous or uncertain and they will exploit it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Lock eyes with him and don't look away until he backs down try this exercise with him for a couple days and see how it goes. I have a 3 year old rot and it worked wonders. For the aggression towards food only allow him to eat when you say it's ok and really that goes with treats and toys he can only have them when you say it's ok. You need to show him who is boss. Give him a smack on the chest and firmly tell him no when he gets out of line. (I'm not saying smack the shit out of him but a good tap will do the job). And exercise also helps anything you can do to burn off energy helps. Sorry I know I jumped around a lot but if you want specifics I can go into further detail. There are some great commands you can teach him that would help a lot.

Also good advice!

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
There are some interesting theories of dog training in this thread. Not saying that they are wrong or haven't worked, but I dont agree with some of it. I got into training my dog and did a lot of research on this website and found it to be pretty useful. Just read through some of the articles they have up there and apply the principles.

http://leerburg.com/

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Wow, tough one...

It's hard to put into words what it takes to establish the role of the "alpha" in the household, it's hard to verbalize what needs to take place with your animal to create respect and loyalty, while maintaining an animal with a loving disposition.

There are allot of theories, and different ways to go about it, I have had luck with using food as a motivator and disciplinary tool, and as mentioned before, grabbing them by the muzzle, eye contact and a stern voice will usually break a young dog, but it takes repetition and consistency, never yielding to the dogs will, and always follow discipline with love and compassion...:thumb: