Stupid n00b question..

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I have noticed that almost all dodge diesel trucks are loud at idle, like a deep tone to em, whereas my truck is a raspy quiet tone.

Obviously I could pull muffler but I don't think that would get me that deep tone, what makes the cummins sound that way? Straight 6?

Moved to south NJ so been seeing a lot more invisible trailers and what not.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have noticed that almost all dodge diesel trucks are loud at idle, like a deep tone to em, whereas my truck is a raspy quiet tone.

Obviously I could pull muffler but I don't think that would get me that deep tone, what makes the cummins sound that way? Straight 6?

Moved to south NJ so been seeing a lot more invisible trailers and what not.

Have you reached puberty yet?:roflmao::D:angel::hug:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ouch...

I don't know the reason, but to me its seems that tone is inherent to cummins. I've never noticed it on other 6s

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Damn, I MUST be old!!! I worry more about how a truck runs, how fuel efficient, and how I can "save" money I have to put into it, than how it "looks" or "sounds"! I guess that's just an "age" thing, but where the heck are the kids now days getting all the money to "burn"??? I'm NOT trying to "stir the pot" here, just curious why it's so important to have a truck that "looks", and "sounds", a certain way, ....Oh and I guess it must "blow smoke" too, rather than having an economical, good running, truck, that will last you a long time, and that doesn't cost you through the nose??? Even when I was "younger" and built street rods, and monster street trucks, we still went for "functionality", "durability", and "uniqueness" (rather than wanting to having the same thing as everyone else), what ever happened to "individuality"? Seems like now everyone wants to have the same looking, sounding, vehicle as the next person, what's up with that, just wondering! Hope I'm not "ruffling any feathers", just askin'!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Ever heard a straight piped 2nd gen? Quite as hell. The CR's are the louder than shit ones. I think it has to do with the exhaust manifold. We put a 2nd gen steed speed on my buds CR cummins and it got a lot quiter at idle, different exhaust note.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
wtf, I don't want a loud or sooty truck...

It was just a question as to why 12v are a lot louder sounding at idle than a duramax.

Simple question.