LLY: Stock Turbo Mods

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
I currently have a desire to delve deeper into trying to mod the stock turbo on my LLY. Currently it has been ported on turbine housing and a bit on compressor housing. It has the batmowheel and well soon have the vanes that Finger sells. I just got a rebuild kit from the gpop shop with the upgraded 360 thrust bearing. On the package it states that it is good for both the GT37 and GT40 series.

If i have this correct, the GT4094VNT then has the same center section and shaft size as the stock lly. I am therefore wondering if i could purchase the turbine wheel from a 4094 as i believe it is larger and machine out the turbine housing to fit the wheel.

I know it seems like a lot of work for maybe not so much gain but i like tinkering around with this stuffand also looking for a bit more outta my rig. I dont want to step up too much in my pulling class as the big boys are running built motors and such and i aint there yet.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I dont think anyone here is going to stop you. :rofl:

If you dont mind the potential $$ risk, may as well give it a shot. That's how most of the improvements for the Dmax have come about over the years...someone took the risk.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Ya I didnt mean ti imply that people wont stop me lol I figure that I wont have anythig to lose by at least trying or finding out info to try. Ill pm fingers but if anybody has any guidance or info keep it coming.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
If the shaft size on the 4094 is the same you'd then have to look at dimensions of it; length of threads, length of shaft etc.
You'd also have to look at the contour of the turbine wheel and make sure when you enlarge the exhaust housing you get that same profile.

If you've got all the tools to do it and don't really care if something goes wrong when machining it I would proceed full steam ahead.

For all the Gpop kits I've gotten I haven't noticed them saying GT37 & GT40. What I do know is that the rebuild kit from either midwest or Gpop for a VVT turbo they sell you a ford kit with the different spacer and other components for the duramax turbo; meaning both turbo's are of the GT37 platform. Now this is as much as I know from talking to other people that know more than myself.

Another thing you could do is put a different turbo wheel in it. I have no proof of this but I believe a stage 1 or 2 powermax kit from Garrett that's a drop in replacement is the same turbo as stock except they add a different turbine wheel and vanes; they may have a different compressor wheel but I don't know.

If you haven't done so you could open up the turbine discharge side to the same size as an aftermarket down pipe.

Yellowchevy

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
This is the package for rebuild kit which is what got me thinking about more turbo mods...

uploadfromtaptalk1390173230728.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390173230728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390173230728.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 165

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a cast 68mm wheel from a 4094avnt I would sell you want to toy with the compressor side.

Also, a 4094 has a bigger exhaust housing and compressor housing. Don't know about shaft differnecs though

Black6spdZ

Aug 7, 2009
I'm in the process of doing a "stage 1" LLY rebuild.. using 10-blade turbine,finger vanes, 360 rebuild kit and billet LLY wheel from xsboost. If anyone is interested the cheap billet wheel weighs 140g vs stock 160g cast wheel and has extended exducer tips bringing it out to 92mm vs 88mm stock.. cant complain for $180! As soon as I get the rest of this turbo torn down I'll weight the LLY 13-blade turbine and compare with the 10-blade ford wheel.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'm in the process of doing a "stage 1" LLY rebuild.. using 10-blade turbine,finger vanes, 360 rebuild kit and billet LLY wheel from xsboost. If anyone is interested the cheap billet wheel weighs 140g vs stock 160g cast wheel and has extended exducer tips bringing it out to 92mm vs 88mm stock.. cant complain for $180! As soon as I get the rest of this turbo torn down I'll weight the LLY 13-blade turbine and compare with the 10-blade ford wheel.

Where are these wheel made at? That's the thing that worries me. There are alot of compressor wheels getting made over seas where they just copy the cast wheel and the billet aluminum can't handle it so the fin actually fold over and break.

Those 10 blade turbine wheels are nice aren't they?

Good luck.

Yellowchevy

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I have always wanted to machine the Turbine Inlets. If I remember correctly, it has been done and posted on other threads. Also, I have heard of running a wastegate directly off the exhaust housing. I imagine these 2 improvements would help drive pressures, egt's, and maybe a little more power is available?

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I have always wanted to machine the Turbine Inlets. If I remember correctly, it has been done and posted on other threads. Also, I have heard of running a wastegate directly off the exhaust housing. I imagine these 2 improvements would help drive pressures, egt's, and maybe a little more power is available?

Why would you put a waste gate on a VVT?

Black6spdZ

Aug 7, 2009
13-blade stock LLY turbine weighs 570g and ford 10-blade weighs in at 525g.. So new setup is 665g vs 730g, 10% weight reduction

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The turbine shaft size is the same on gt37 and gt 40 turbines.
But to make the gt40 turbine fit you will need to do more than just remove material from the housing.
I would just put the 10 vane wheel from the early 6.0 Ford turbo's in and call it done.
It sounds like you have a good bit invested in this turbo already.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
The turbine shaft size is the same on gt37 and gt 40 turbines.
But to make the gt40 turbine fit you will need to do more than just remove material from the housing.
I would just put the 10 vane wheel from the early 6.0 Ford turbo's in and call it done.
It sounds like you have a good bit invested in this turbo already.

Jkholder09,

I'm assuming its the GT3782VA 2003-2004 1/2 10 blade turbine wheel.

http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com...t-turbine-shaft-6-0-powerstroke-2003-2004-12/

Thanks,
Yellowchevy