Stock trans mods with mild tune.

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
I will be upgrading to EFI live in the near furture but want to make some upgrades to the trans first. I have read about the transgo kits but is there anything else I can do beside this kit? I am not looking to have to pull out the trans. to change the converter or rebuild. All mods will have to be with it in the truck. Also does the transgo kit make it shift much harder? It already shifts pretty hard under hard acceleration. Also what would be the HP limit with tunning with these mods? Thanks in advance.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I will be upgrading to EFI live in the near furture but want to make some upgrades to the trans first. I have read about the transgo kits but is there anything else I can do beside this kit? I am not looking to have to pull out the trans. to change the converter or rebuild. All mods will have to be with it in the truck. Also does the transgo kit make it shift much harder? It already shifts pretty hard under hard acceleration. Also what would be the HP limit with tunning with these mods? Thanks in advance.

No ther mods can be done in the truck. HP max would be 90-120 over stock depending on the condition of your clutches.

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
It only has 17K original miles. Do these kits provide a little more holding power? I have read on other sites they do no goood because the TCM adapts to the changes. I do not have much experience with transmissions other than an old school turbo 350 and 400 rebuilds long ago. Thanks in advance.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
It only has 17K original miles. Do these kits provide a little more holding power? I have read on other sites they do no goood because the TCM adapts to the changes. I do not have much experience with transmissions other than an old school turbo 350 and 400 rebuilds long ago. Thanks in advance.

Your good with a transgo jr for a little while at 90-120hp but anymore say hello to a SC III or SC IV with converter. Personally if I was you I would do a transgo jr and SC Converter

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
what is your main goal w/ the truck? just a quick street machine or a race/play/daily driver. that is going to play a big factor into how much you need to spend and how far you need to go.

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
I know most of you guys probably all are hardcore race truck guys. Me? I have a car for that but I would like to have the truck as quick as I can have it without voiding the warranty and it still being able to be dependable with decent mileage. I think if the trans takes a crap later on down the line a tech would have a hard time finding the transgo kit. Now a converter? Thats more noticeable and is to much for me. My truck is only for towing our 5th wheel trailer and my work truck. The truck will only see about 6 to 7 k miles a year. So with that being said voiding the warranty is a big concern. If I use efi live then I will have a extra ECM that I can change out. I figure another honest 100 HP would be just fine for me. I am not hard on the truck at all and the only time it will see a track is when I tow my car there...:eek:). When you speak of the extra HP the trans will hold with the transgo kit is that referenced at the crank or the rear wheels? Thanks in advance.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
with all that being said... the JR kit would be the way to go for you. i don't forsee you ever having a problme with that.