Stock air box vs CAI

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
2008 LMM. After lots of research it seems the stock air box flows just fine for up to 500hp. I had a Cummins in the past and did turbo back, CAI and tune but with this one I’m wanting to stay smog legal but with some pep. I already have the edge CS2, and DPF back exhaust on the way. Is there any other little things that can be done or should be done to help pick up some extra ponies? I’ve seen the air box mod, is that worth anything?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
have a Transgo Jr installed to try and save that trans. There’s a good chance you aren’t even holding fuel rail pressure with that tune as it is. If you want more performance work on getting the power to the ground. If you do get a CAI make sure it’s sealed not getting air from under the hood.

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
have a Transgo Jr installed to try and save that trans. There’s a good chance you aren’t even holding fuel rail pressure with that tune as it is. If you want more performance work on getting the power to the ground. If you do get a CAI make sure it’s sealed not getting air from under the hood.

I paid for the century 4 year warranty so I’ll roll with the trans for now. Thanks for your input

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Leave it stock, the LMM's have awesome intake air temps it will only let more hot air in and more than likely more dirt with a aftermarket one. The old body style trucks had hotter intake air temps and if you get a good intake it can help those but some come with the expense of more dirt or a oiled MAF sensor.

Find a the old write up about making the stock one better.

Last edited:

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
Leave it stock, the LMM's have awesome intake air temps it will only let more hot air in and more than likely more dirt with a aftermarket one. The old body style trucks had hotter intake air temps and if you get a good intake it can help those but some come with the expense of more dirt or a oiled MAF sensor.

Find a the old write up about making the stock one better.

My IAT range from about 10-15° hotter then outside air while driving. I’ve seen a lot of people say aftermarket and they are within 5° of outside air temps. If I got one I would get one with enclosed air box. I’ve seen the mods for stock air box, taking the turbine blades out and taking that panel off the passenger filter.some say it makes turbo a little louder, some say they had cooler IATs and others say doesn’t do anything. So left me not really knowing lol

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Did the air box mod and now IATs are only 2-4° difference from outside temps but that’s only thing I notice
I have red that for every 1 deg decrease in IAT there is aprox 2 rwhp gain , so if you decreased your IAT by 10 deg that would be 20 rwhp gain and maybe 1/2 mpg increase if that is what you were looking for and you are happy that is all that matters . Welcome !

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
I have red that for every 1 deg decrease in IAT there is aprox 2 rwhp gain , so if you decreased your IAT by 10 deg that would be 20 rwhp gain and maybe 1/2 mpg increase if that is what you were looking for and you are happy that is all that matters . Welcome !

Good to know. I wonder if the s&b would be much different other then making the turbo louder. I would think there would be better throttle response at least with an aftermarket

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I had a s&b on my lmm. I honestly didn’t notice any difference. Even resonator delete’s I didn’t notice anything. Same thing deleting the resonator on my lml. I have a sdp metal intake on my lml now. The only thing I can hear now is it really sucking airflow in. Stock turbo doesn’t have any compressor whistle

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Did the air box mod and now IATs are only 2-4° difference from outside temps but that’s only thing I notice

Not going to beat that with anything aftermarket :thumb:
Throttle response won't improve either with aftermarket junk only way to get that is with tuning= turbo spooling faster.