steering wheels controls?

galdus

Jan 20, 2013
Salmo BC Canada
Anyone know how to get the controls out of the steering wheel in a 2006 Sierra. have replacement controls but dont know how to get old ones out..any help?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The just snap into place. It is my understanding that you can slide a small pick or screwdriver down next to them and pop them out. I've never done it, but that is what I've been told by someone who has.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Most of them just pop out & back in pretty easily with a small screwdriver or pick, like JoshH said. But the last one I did was a real PITA. The wire connectors for the switches weren't fixed in the wheel. And the lock tabs didn't want to let go of the old switches either. Fought it for a little bit, eventually cussed enough that the old switches came out.

Then I couldn't get the new switches to plug into the harness connectors, because they were just flopping around loose inside the steering wheel. Ended up having to remove the steering wheel to get enough slack from the harness to plug the switches into the harness, then push the switches into the wheel. Then put it all back together.....

5 minute job took over an hour. :eek:

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
They just pry out, once you get them out and can see behind it use a knife or something pointy to undo the clip. Not much wire back there.