Steering wheel play and C0306 Code

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
I''ll be going through and trying to troubleshoot these issues with what I find online, but I'm hoping in the meantime if someone has experienced the same issues with my specific scenarios, they could post up their insight.

The steering wheel has some play. I looked at the column all the way to the power steering box and it appears to move both left and right even with the smallest amount of input from the steering wheel, so I would guess it has something to do with the pump? Is there anything I can do to test that or fix it on that side?

Also, I randomly get the C0306 code aka Service 4 Wheel. So long as I'm not getting the code I can shift into 4hi and 4low with zero issues, but as soon as it pops there is no life from the selector. If I shut the truck off for about 10 minutes it will go back to normal again. I haven't driven around in 4wd to see what happens if the message pops while it's already engaged though. I read that sometimes replacing the selector could fix things? As they aren't expensive I was thinking of getting one just to eliminate that. Any other ideas? I've seen a few posts where it became quite the nightmare with parts replacement and still not fixing anything.

Thanks for your help as always!

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
I still haven't figured out the service 4wd issue, but the other day I had to put my truck in 4wd and then switched it to 2wd. We'll the service 4wd message popped up while it was still in 4wd and I forgot to turn the selector switch back to 4wd prior to turning off the truck. I turned it back on half an hour later, the truck was in 2wd, but now I have no life at all from the switch and the service 4wd drive message pops up immediately after starting the truck instead of being just happening sometimes.

If anyone has an idea on this please let me know.

Thanks!