Spare Tire Mount Options

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So my 35" spare does not fit under my truck anymore since I installed my Ultra Frame hitch and I'm looking at other options I can use to carry it.

I found one that replaces your tailgate which I'm not entirely opposed to but it takes up box space which I'm not into. If it went the other way and actually was a little more solid to keep stuff inside the box I would be ok with it.

What other mounting options are there out there? Does anyone make a solid over the roof mounted one that's capable of holding a 35" mud tire on an 18" rim??

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
They make ones that replace the bed but stick out so you retain your box space. May check one of those out. Or maybe have a custom one made. My buddy has a reversible one that can go in or out. Ill get with him and find the brand, pretty sure he got it from 4wheelparts.com

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
They make ones that replace the bed but stick out so you retain your box space. May check one of those out. Or maybe have a custom one made. My buddy has a reversible one that can go in or out. Ill get with him and find the brand, pretty sure he got it from 4wheelparts.com

That would be cool.
I did some digging around and found a couple a year or so ago but they looked wimpy and took up box space. Reversible would be ok depending on how far back it sits-need to still be able to tow a trailer.
Ideally one over the roof would be better for when I have my sled deck on. I thought about making one built off of it but that would make it a PIA plus I don't think the existing headache rack would support 200lbs bouncing 2-3' out in front.

Dragonsfireloki

Nov 6, 2011
North Dakota
there was another one i saw i think off that tiregate.com site that mounts into your trailer hitch and it looks like you can still tow with it on there. I was thinking about getting it for myself.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I hate them on the roof. Ours where all really noisy and it made me nervous to have that heavy tire over my head.