Smoking head/tail lights

Bakwoodz

Feb 8, 2012
Louisiana
Just curious if anyone has "smoked" their head/tail lights? If you have, what did you use and how well has it held up? I've been told the spray on tint Was pretty easy to apply but never heard how it held up.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
VHT nightshade is what you want to use. How it holds up depends on how well you prep the surface. i just cleaned mine a little and sprayed em with a few coats. lasted about 6 months before it started to fade away. If i was to do it again. i'd take my truck to a tint place and have them put tint on the lights

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
VHT nightshade is what you want to use. How it holds up depends on how well you prep the surface. i just cleaned mine a little and sprayed em with a few coats. lasted about 6 months before it started to fade away. If i was to do it again. i'd take my truck to a tint place and have them put tint on the lights

Got vht on mine cleaned with a automotive prep wipe and sprayed mine with a few light coats and been on the truck for a year and still looks good.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I just don't get it. I almost rear ended someone with smoked tail lights. Smoked headlights must reduce performance. Is functionality sacrificed that much for "style"?

I'm not judging anyone who does this! I just don't understand.

Bakwoodz

Feb 8, 2012
Louisiana
I just don't get it. I almost rear ended someone with smoked tail lights. Smoked headlights must reduce performance. Is functionality sacrificed that much for "style"?

I'm not judging anyone who does this! I just don't understand.

I don't plan on completely blacking out the lights because yes I want people to be able to see the break/head lights. But smoking them over I think will look nice without sacrificing saftey.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I did mine about 6 months ago with... Ummmmm... Whatever the fu*ck they have at autozone. Looks perfect to. However, I'm a stiffler for prepping for paint. Apparently I'm the only person who has successfully painted an exhaust with rattle can and have it hold for An extended amount of time.

Bakwoodz

Feb 8, 2012
Louisiana
I did mine about 6 months ago with... Ummmmm... Whatever the fu*ck they have at autozone. Looks perfect to. However, I'm a stiffler for prepping for paint. Apparently I'm the only person who has successfully painted an exhaust with rattle can and have it hold for An extended amount of time.

Mind elaborating (pm if need be) I'd like a black exhaust since I'll be ordering MBRP 4" cool duals I wouldn't mind painting them.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI

I painted my exhaust, then it all came off the day I installed it. Lol LMMs really should have there own specific MBRP exhaust.

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
Everyone told me my chrome stack wouldn't stay black when I did it but its still on the truck and almost 2 yrs and still looks good. Clean, sand sand sand sand sand clean and header paint. Works great. Sorry for the OT.:eek:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Mind elaborating (pm if need be) I'd like a black exhaust since I'll be ordering MBRP 4" cool duals I wouldn't mind painting them.

It was chrome. Sanded with 60, 80, then 120. Washed it with simple green then used alcohol (medical stuff... Idk how to spell it. Iso... Something) at that point..... Never touched it again. Used 1 can of some grey rustoleum primer and 1 can of rustoleum gloss paint. Smelled like paint for about 500 miles. Then it went away. 5k miles later.... Not the slightest start of flake. It's been hit, rubbed on, kicked, uninstalled reinstalled etc. nothing has happened to it. I've painted things that others say not to with good-great results. Dunno why or how. But I guess I have good painting luck?

Bakwoodz

Feb 8, 2012
Louisiana
It was chrome. Sanded with 60, 80, then 120. Washed it with simple green then used alcohol (medical stuff... Idk how to spell it. Iso... Something) at that point..... Never touched it again. Used 1 can of some grey rustoleum primer and 1 can of rustoleum gloss paint. Smelled like paint for about 500 miles. Then it went away. 5k miles later.... Not the slightest start of flake. It's been hit, rubbed on, kicked, uninstalled reinstalled etc. nothing has happened to it. I've painted things that others say not to with good-great results. Dunno why or how. But I guess I have good painting luck?

good to know, thanks for the DIY :beer

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
I have smoked headlights, markers and fogs that I got from eBay. They fit with our a problem and I can see great at night also.

PT.jpg

IMG_6152.jpg

My tail lights are different then any other that I have ever seen. And my 3rd brake light is smoked.
IMG_6162.jpg

Bakwoodz

Feb 8, 2012
Louisiana
I like that. I personally would have done the tail lights since every other was smoked. but hey to each his own, its your ride and it looks good.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
Here is my current tail lights. These are considered smoked.
fd4066d6.jpg

Here is my old tail lights on my old truck. These are not smoked.
DSCF0396.jpg

I can't find any close up of them.

fctry286

WhisperMax
Jul 30, 2010
San Diego.
I blacked my running and tail lights out with the VHT and some PPG clear. over a 2 years still holding strong. put some LED bulbs in and bam you have custom lights. just got some LED bulbs off ebay $2 shipped.