should I get airbags

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Hi I'm new.i just bought my truck last week.its a 2002 silverado 2500 duramax diesel. 6.6.i am a welder and I'm finally putting my truck together.how can I tell if my truck is 3/4 or 1/2 ton? Should I put airbags in? The welder is like 1300 pounds plus torch and tanks, and tool box? Prob a little over a ton iam thinking?what else can I do to my truck to make it a reliable welding truck?? It's stock thanks

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Your truck is a 3/4 ton. What type of welder do you have? if you have like a Bobcat or a Ranger you'll be fine without bags. But if you have one of the larger engine drives like a Big 40 or so you'll definitely need some suspension upgrades. My Big 40 weighs about 2000 lbs and I think the Bobcats weigh about 700 lbs? Just noticed you gave the weights of your equipment and judging from what you've listed Id say you'll need some suspension help. Are you building a bed for your truck? if so your going to add more weight with that. You may even want to look into converting the rear to dual wheels. Single will handle the weight ok but I've had a single weighted down like yours and switched to a dual rear and it was soooo much better to drive.
By the way, I'm a welder too, welcome to the forum!

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I put bags on mine. Cheap insurance if you ask me. I have a trailblazer 325 efi plus bottles and tools. I also carry plastic fusion tools so my shortbed is full. The bags brought the truck back up to level.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I finally got tired of all the weight in my truck and built a service trailer with everything on it. I don't go out in the field but once or twice a week, most of my work is in the shop, so its not too aggravating. I got tired of having to take my welding rig to the grocery store and to drop the kids off at daycare lol.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I keep a 4x8 trailer handy for when I need to move stuff around and make sure the wife drives something nice for the rest of the time. Mine is out in the field all day every day. Gas distribution work in the city of Chicago so my truck is actually pretty well suited. If I was on mainline I would want a dually with a flatbed and a diesel lincoln welder on back.

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Your truck is a 3/4 ton. What type of welder do you have? if you have like a Bobcat or a Ranger you'll be fine without bags. But if you have one of the larger engine drives like a Big 40 or so you'll definitely need some suspension upgrades. My Big 40 weighs about 2000 lbs and I think the Bobcats weigh about 700 lbs? Just noticed you gave the weights of your equipment and judging from what you've listed Id say you'll need some suspension help. Are you building a bed for your truck? if so your going to add more weight with that. You may even want to look into converting the rear to dual wheels. Single will handle the weight ok but I've had a single weighted down like yours and switched to a dual rear and it was soooo much better to drive.*
By the way, I'm a welder too, welcome to the forum!

It's a lincoln sa 200 it's a dinosaur.im not making a welding bed, I made a skid instead.i made it where I can unload it with a fork lift with my welding equipment still attached.for the weekends.i just need it to handle the weight I can deal with the handling.thanks which airbags did you get.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I'd buy a set of 1 ton springs or have a GOOD quality set built an do bags. I stacked springs on my LLY and it would take a turn loaded or not, almost zero roll.
Now my LMM on the other hand just has bags, and when loaded the springs flex too much and bounces like an old buick. But I drive faster than most and like a stiffer suspension.

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
* #7*****

*Today, 12:46 PM

WVRigrat05*

Wound for sound

Truck: CC/SB

Engine: LMM

Transmission: Automatic

*WVRigrat05's Garage

Feedback Score:*0*reviews

I'd buy a set of 1 ton springs or have a GOOD quality set built an do bags. I stacked springs on my LLY and it would take a turn loaded or not, almost zero roll.
Now my LMM on the other hand just has bags, and when loaded the springs flex too much and bounces like an old buick. But I drive faster than most and like a stiffer suspensio

So to stacked your springs means to up grade to a 1 ton? Iam looking for a nice soft ride.who builds springs? Are you talking about the spring with the bag inside of it? I seen trucks with just bags and a shock?:confused:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I'm talking about your leaf springs, I added more leaf springs to stiffen up the spring pack and also to handle more weight, I had 8 total on my old truck and it rode pretty well empty. With 1200+ lbs in the bed it rode perfect. I bought a set from a salvage yard off of a low mileage 3/4 ton truck and added 3 more to the factory set. IMO, you'd be better off just buying a set off a 1 ton and be done. Trucks with just bags and a shock have some sort of 3 link or 4 link set up too. that would def. get rid of any sway and have an awesome ride.

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Alright so just gonna get the 1 ton springs and use them with some bags right? Can you use the 1 ton springs with the bags and shock 3 or 4 confused: link set up? Should I get bags in the front and back? :confused:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Alright so just gonna get the 1 ton springs and use them with some bags right? Can you use the 1 ton springs with the bags and shock 3 or 4 confused: link set up? Should I get bags in the front and back? :confused:

One ton leaf springs and air helper bags such as firestone or air lift, they bolt on in place of your factory bump stops. Just google search "chevy 2500hd rear helper air bags" should come up with some products for you.

Just rear bags will be enough.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Damn man, 1-ton leafs AND air bags???
Heck, my Air Lift 5000 bags made a huge difference for towing and hauling...
They're designated with the "5000" # cuz they'll support 5000lbs...

I think I'd just start with the set of bags for the $150 they cost and go from there...they're super simple to install too.

FWIW-
I know with 80psi of air in the bags (out of the 100lb max) I can have a big CAT quarry loader literally drop a full bucket of wet sand, wet dirt or gravel in my bed (which fills it to the rails) and the truck doesn't squat an inch and it still rides like a dream, and I've got my overload leafs removed from my spring pack! But I did add a Deaver 2" mini pack, not for load capability tho, I did that for height instead of using a block when I lifted the truck.
I only tow with about 30lbs in the bags too...

Then when I'm not towing or hauling I let all the air out and I've still got a fairly decent ride...

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
Just adding airbags is all you'll need. Look at the pics in my garage. With the ATVs, rack, gas, water, coolers, etc., it's a little more than 2500lbs. Most of that weight is above the bed with the bags also aiding in controlling body role. I camp with several 3/4 ton trucks with just airbags and this exact set-up. They handle the load and a RV just fine.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Damn man, 1-ton leafs AND air bags???
Heck, my Air Lift 5000 bags made a huge difference for towing and hauling...
They're designated with the "5000" # cuz they'll support 5000lbs...

I think I'd just start with the set of bags for the $150 they cost and go from there...they're super simple to install too.

FWIW-
I know with 80psi of air in the bags (out of the 100lb max) I can have a big CAT quarry loader literally drop a full bucket of wet sand, wet dirt or gravel in my bed (which fills it to the rails) and the truck doesn't squat an inch and it still rides like a dream, and I've got my overload leafs removed from my spring pack! But I did add a Deaver 2" mini pack, not for load capability tho, I did that for height instead of using a block when I lifted the truck.
I only tow with about 30lbs in the bags too...

Then when I'm not towing or hauling I let all the air out and I've still got a fairly decent ride...

I've had both separately, The one ton springs worked awesome, BUT, had excessive wear in 3 years from all the weight in the bed, and the stock 3/4 ton springs with weight in the bed flex too much in turns and over humps and bounce too much, I run 25 psi in mine to keep the truck leveled with the weight, my truck has a leveled front end so the 5-10 extra lbs I run may account for the extra bounce. I have weight in my bed every day, not some days, some loads some times, and in my application the stock 3/4 ton springs with airbags flex too much. IMO 1 ton springs for the stability and a set of bags to limit some of the weight would be perfect. It's like 500 bucks total. Track bars for flex and blocks for height and and bags are way more than that for the same accomplishment.

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Just adding airbags is all you'll need. Look at the pics in my garage. With the ATVs, rack, gas, water, coolers, etc., it's a little more than 2500lbs. Most of that weight is above the bed with the bags also aiding in controlling body role. I camp with several 3/4 ton trucks with just airbags and this exact set-up. They handle the load and a RV just fine.
Patrick

wow man that's incredible. So I'm just gonna go with bags and see how it goes.i see you have a 3500 right, does that mean you have 1 ton leaf springs? Sorry I thought one ton only come in duallys.i have a 2500 3/4 ton. I should still be ok with just bags right? im thinking firestone.iam sorry everybody iam not truck savvy.i also don't understand most of the abbreviation used.please don't get annoyed.

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
You should be just fine with Firestone bags. Yes, I have 1 ton springs, one more spring than 2500's. Adds about an inch of ride height in the rear. Good Luck and post some pics when your done. :thumb: