Shop Ideas/Input

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
So I'm a cabinetmaker, currently working out of my garage/tent. I've got a 20x16 garage that's got all my woodworking tools in it, but I've basically got to move around the tools to use something and it pisses me off. Not to mention I've got to do all my lacquering/finishing in a little tent and then bring it into the garage to dry.

In an effort to work more efficiently I've been contemplating buying a piece of property and building a shop with separate spray booth with proper exhaust and intake setup. Now I know what I'd want and need for a woodworking shop, but just for the future if I decide to sell the shop I don't want it solely setup for a woodworker.

What are some things that a mechanic would want in a shop. I'm just talking basic hookups /accessories. I don't plan in putting a lift in just to sit, but watersupply, washrooms, heaters, higher ceilings? If you were a mechanic looking for a shop to setup in, what utilities or amenities would make a building more appealing to you?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Cabinets, workspace (tabletops),high ceilings, a mechanical room (air compressor), air lines routed through out the ceiling, radiant heat, If its strictly a mechanical shop, exhaust hookup vents throughout the shop floor would be a good selling point. Plan where lifts could go to make sure you pour/brace the concrete thick enough. Several garage bay doors are a plus. I understand its a workshop, but imagine if it was a mechanics shop, you'll want enough room to maneuver vehicles around with other vehicles on the lifts, ect.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Also, if its a large shop, having a back room for storage (parts, motors, ect) is a good idea. As well as another room to store large tools (tire balancer, mounter, engine hoist, ect)

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Electric needs to consider... 220v 60 amp usually for a welder
Lot of dedicated 20 amp circuits
Bridge crains FTW
Plump in air supply throughout the shop for quick connect

tripleturbo

Feb 27, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Yea I would bring a 400 amp service in if its a decently size shop, and for lighting you can't beat the 4 lamp T5 light fixtures, they are a bit pricey but they are worth it.

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
We do the plumbimg on a lot of local dealerships.

Radiant floors are the standard.
Waste oil reznor heaters when doors open. (Helps maintain temperature)
Air drops at every station.
Hot cold interior hose bibs
Hot cold exterior hose bibs.
Large central tench drain with oil separator.

That's typical for the plumbing aspects. Some vary a little but they all follow a similar build.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I wouldn't worry too much about airdrops unless you want them. IMHO they are an easy add on.
If you are into hardcore woodworking I'm guessing you will have several big 220V machines (planers etc) but some of the big pulls for a shop are a 5HP air compressor and welder. But lots of 20 amp pulls for stuff

Big things to look at is drains, and just the correct size. You need a lot more room than a standard garage for a good shop. And ceilings high enough for a lift. Those are things you cannot change down the road. Make sure the foundation is supported for a lift as well. Spacing on doors that make sense (wider than a normal garage bays).

Really you can't go wrong building it like a shop. If you want a paint room, make it like a car paint booth. It should work fine for what you want and while it might cost a little more but will help the resale. Or you can look for a shop that is closing down and buy that one

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Get spreadweb trusses and in the area around the crawl hole put the trusses on 1 foot centers for about 10 ft in both directions that way you can store some heavy stuff up there I did this and I can store trans missions and what not up there I also put aluminum I beam up there bolted to the center the lenght of the attic then installed a trolly on it and a 1 1/2 ton electric hoist zo I can hoist heavy stuff into the attic.I ran all my air lines in the walls I have a 26 by 34 garage with 9 air chucks 2 work bench airs and 7 coming out the walls in key areas.I ran 20 for a welder ran a 30 amp 220 line for my air compressor. Where the lift went I wired for a side mount garage door opener.Ran 220 over to where the lift was going.I even ran a air line,a naturl gas line a water line an 1 1/4 conduit chase all into the attic as I was planning on doing my own french fry oil into diesel someday and need the space for a water heater to cook the fry oil and I was going.to set up pumps and lines so I could do 90% from the 1st floor.I now some of this is over kill just tbings I had planned,once the walls are ip its to late to go back unless you tear the walls down.i wired for internet,speaker wire for sound system, cable for internet and/or cable tv/satellite TV phone wire for internet extra phone and cable lines for security systems and video.I ran all conduit for electric so I could change things if need be.i have a 10,000 watt generator that I use to plug into the welder outlet then I go.to.the house to shut off the main breaker then back to the garage fire up the gen for when the power goes out.A few years ago around christmas we lost power for 3 days ........we had lites heat and I left the christmas lites on.Some of the neighbors thought I was showing off,they were right.:D

Do the floor heat I wish I had but plan on where the lift is going to go and make the floor thick and don't run any heat lines where the lift will be bolted down this could ruin you floor heat if you drilled into a line.Plan on a ton of light,make it so a surgeon could work in there.Do motion sensors out side and inside if a theif breaks in and the lights come on its gonna scare the shit out of him. Lol. I also made it zo I could turn lites on and off from the house for security.I did a whole house attic fan so it feels like air conditioning when its on in the summer with the doors closed.i did months of planning before pulling the trigger and drew up my own floor planns and electric planns,bought stuff on sale and stashed it till I was ready. Best of luck im sure it will be very nice.