Shift Range Inhibited...P0872

aking

Mar 13, 2017
Need Help! Ok, so I have a LB7 03 Duramax and I got this shift range inhibited message. My truck will start to move in Drive, then all of a sudden RPMs drop and it feels like it goes into Neutral or something. Also, when I go in reverse, there's very late response and it clunks into R kind of hard. But its intermittent, very weird. Code is P0872 (is this an engine or trans code, or maybe communication error between engine and trans?)

I do not want to start blindly throwing parts at it. I'd like to logically root cause the issue, starting with the trouble code.

Happened after do some burnouts with some buddies of mine.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Need Help! Ok, so I have a LB7 03 Duramax and I got this shift range inhibited message. My truck will start to move in Drive, then all of a sudden RPMs drop and it feels like it goes into Neutral or something. Also, when I go in reverse, there's very late response and it clunks into R kind of hard. But its intermittent, very weird. Code is P0872 (is this an engine or trans code, or maybe communication error between engine and trans?)

I do not want to start blindly throwing parts at it. I'd like to logically root cause the issue, starting with the trouble code.

Happened after do some burnouts with some buddies of mine.

What is the history on the trans? What programmer. How hard do you drive it?
We need ALL the info or we can't help you.

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
Like mike says more info will help. If it helps I remember in my lb7 I had similar problems and if I recall it was a solenoid in the trans that caused the issues.

aking

Mar 13, 2017
What is the history on the trans? What programmer. How hard do you drive it?
We need ALL the info or we can't help you.

I have only had it for a year, but no issues until last week. I don't really drive it super hard, I've only pulled a few cars here and there. Truck is only used to haul my equipment in the bed for work.

It has some sort of tune, maybe efi live, but I never really use it. Lemme know what other info you'd need.

aking

Mar 13, 2017
One thing that is a weird is that only my 4Hi worked before this issue. No 4Lo. I have replaced the NSBU switch and the ignition switch and reset the codes. Now all of a sudden both 4Hi and 4Lo works now.

richard_kerksiek

Dec 29, 2017
One thing that is a weird is that only my 4Hi worked before this issue. No 4Lo. I have replaced the NSBU switch and the ignition switch and reset the codes. Now all of a sudden both 4Hi and 4Lo works now.
Ever figure out this problem my truck is doing the same thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk