SD Idler and Pitman arm supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Here they are at long last. Had to make sure they were right after several prototypes. They are solid SS and are very tough and VERY easy to install. Works on the stock CL or my aftermarket CL (provided there is clearance like the SD "TT' and "BBW"). The "BBW" is like the "TT" CL but in a 2 position tie rod location only (stock and straight CL locations). It stands for "Best of Both Worlds". :D P5190424.JPG

P5190423.JPG

P5190422.JPG

P5190421.JPG

Attachments

• P5190424.JPG
    P5190424.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 254
  • P5190423.JPG
    P5190423.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 275
  • P5190422.JPG
    P5190422.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 255
  • P5190421.JPG
    P5190421.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
About time some used bearings on the rotating end instead of heims lol. How much for just a pitman side michael?

BLKLMM

<<< Slow Mamba
Jan 31, 2010
Oceanside
Mike educate me a bit...what does this help and I am not familiar with the terms,pitman,idler...etc...I do have a PPE center link thanks...please go easy on me guys:D

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
I'm changing the pitman, idler and tie rods next week. The Cognito braces look good, but these look better.

What is a reasonable lead time to get them ordered & delivered?

And, my alignment guy said a new centerlink was needed as, at 144k, the holes are reamed out. I haven't heard a lot of this - mostly read about them being bent from pulling or launching. Does it sound reasonable?

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I'm changing the pitman, idler and tie rods next week. The Cognito braces look good, but these look better.

And, my alignment guy said a new centerlink was needed as, at 144k, the holes are reamed out. I haven't heard a lot of this - mostly read about them being bent from pulling or launching. Does it sound reasonable?

Call me.

No new CL needed. These tapper holes will NOT were out unless there moving around on the idler and pitman arm joint tappers (if this is the case than it should have fallen off by now).

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Been pondering this for a while but just never took the time.

Ok cool. Thanks michael. Ill give ya a call in a few weeks

Mike educate me a bit...what does this help and I am not familiar with the terms,pitman,idler...etc...I do have a PPE center link thanks...please go easy on me guys:D

It keeps the centerlink from "rolling" when you turn the wheel or launch in 4wd. With a straight centerlink like you have, the rolling is damn near non-exsitant since no leverage can be applied to make it roll. Adding the braces is just a bit more added security to make sure it never happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure

The Pitman arm is the arm that comes off the steering box and goes back and hooks to the center link. It forces the tires to turn one way or the other with the input from the steering wheel. The idler arm is on the passenger side and works in parallel with the piman arm to keep the CL straight in tracking from one side to the other. Stick your two index fingers out in front of you and point them both away from you then move them from side to side parallel with each other. This is what they do and are hooked to CL at the ends of these two arms. The other ends are bolted to central pivots (steering box shaft and idler support arm shaft). This is what creates the steering from side to side. There. Clear as mud eh? Some times I'm not so good at explaining things. These are useful for stock CLs and the CLs that have the tie rods off set (mounted on the backside of the CL where there not in a direct line with the pivot points of the idler and pitman arm). With the straight CL you do not have this issue. These keep the CL from rotating on the pivot points of the idler and pitman arms and causing a tow-in situation when accelerating hard in 4WD or from having a tow-out situation during braking (every day driving thus causing accelerated tire wear).

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Michael, do these braces affect turning radius in any way? Its nice that you keep coming up with new items.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Looks good Michael , look forward to getting our hands on the new goodies , we are def going to put it through the ringer for ya !

Kennedy Diesel

Mar 13, 2009
I got to see the idler brace first hand and it's quite well built.

Michael,

What Bac was referring to on steering radius is that the Cognitos can interfere with the frame.

Gotcha (and Tom). I hand fit these. Full turning is the only option. Got some units going out. I'm sure we'll find out good or bad. I love mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.