rough slow shifts

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
About a month ago I had my stock tranny worked on... completely disassembled and found my c1 and c2 clutches were toast. all others were still immaculate!! so i replaced the bad kept the good. So she bites now with no slip but it has always shifted rough then smooth rough then smooth. why arent these allisons quicker and smoother??? its annoying

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The Allison never shifts quickly, IMO. However, they should be very smooth, especially stock. (Unless you have the power cranked way up, and even then...)

Sadly, that is the extent of my knowledge of the Allison. Hopefully someone will chime in with what could cause the intermittent smooth then rough shifts.

Oh, and mine shifts kind of hard once in a while when it is cold. I think that is fairly normal. Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the TCM they use. It tries to be smart when it should be dumb, and sometimes just messes up a shift randomly, but nails it perfectly the next time. Since you have a 2001, you could try loading a 2003 TCM OS (I believe you can do this), that might help some. The later OS's seemed to be better.

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
Ive done a trans reset with my ppe tuner... but its still rough shifting when easing around. When i get in the throttle its smooth unless i have tow haul on then its rough no matter how i drive it.... any opinions on why?

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
Pretty sure its always seemed to thud gears when easing on the throttle... its just annoying cuz i got friends with powerjokes that laugh cuz the allsion is so awesome but there torque shift is seamless shifting

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Since you have a 2001, you could try loading a 2003 TCM OS (I believe you can do this), that might help some. The later OS's seemed to be better.

I've ran both, and the 03 TCM OS shifts like SH!T compared to my 01 OS. The 03 is always trying to relearn and adapt so much that every time I give it a little pedal it will flare. Then it will be fine until I go back to driving it easy and it will bang. Never had any of these wierd flaring shifts with the 01 or even the 02 OS in it. But one thing I will say is the 01 OS tended to shift very slowly when I drove it easy, but firmed up and shifted fast when I got on it. The 03 shifts REALLY quick compared to the 01.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've ran both, and the 03 TCM OS shifts like SH!T compared to my 01 OS. The 03 is always trying to relearn and adapt so much that every time I give it a little pedal it will flare. Then it will be fine until I go back to driving it easy and it will bang. Never had any of these wierd flaring shifts with the 01 or even the 02 OS in it. But one thing I will say is the 01 OS tended to shift very slowly when I drove it easy, but firmed up and shifted fast when I got on it. The 03 shifts REALLY quick compared to the 01.
Really? Hmmm, I may try running a 2001 or 2002 OS on mine for a while and see what I think. The other trucks I've driven with the early OSs seemed to have issues, but it could have been the trucks, lol.

The part that bothers me is how you say the 2003 shifts quick compared to the 2001. That is my main complaint with the Allison-- the slow shifts. I have an old 700R4 that will shift twice for every one shift on the Allison. I don't know that I could stand the shifts to be any slower.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My trans is built, so I don't know how much that changes things. I know the 01 shifts very civilized at light throttle, but when I got on it it would click em off fast AND smoothly. The 02 was pretty good as well, but the 03 is just too unpredicteable. One time it will click off super fast, then it will delay and flare, then it will bang, and follow up with a delayed shift sometimes. Then other times it will click off faster than any 700R4 could ever dream of shifting.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
01 TCM OS owns all. :)

but LLY auto high idle and tow/haul button ODLO dont work with it. And grade braking is absolutely horrible with it. :(

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Ill recheck the tuner... but i never changed anything on the tuner itself. Just plug in and upload tune
The only PPE that has a "working" no defuel option is the HOT+2 ET. If you have a HOT+2 and under you dont have to worry about it. If you do in fact have a HOT+2 ET you have to manually have to turn the defuel off. If you load tunes 4-7 they are the no defuel tunes and will not have defuel unless you select the defuel option and change it in the menu. It is very confusing the way PPE has it setup.