Rough ride after lowering shackles installed.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Guys,

My trucks rides noticeably rougher and bounces quite a bit more with the lowering shackles. I also ripped it tonight across an intersection and it hopped, which it never did before. Any thoughts?

And yes, I lowered a 4wd.:D

Thanks,
Ed

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Mine seems to ride rougher after the shackles. I've been considering pulling one of the leafs to soften it back up, I've got airbags for hauling anything other than ass. :rofl:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Gotta remember that by doing just the rear shackles alone the pinion angle will be affected. Now if a guy did hangers of equal drop that would be a lil differant. The pinion angle change may upset the way the rearend loads and could be a factor in wheel hop. One other thing to look at is the shocks. They are riding more compressed now, may be makin the ride more harsh? Also this may have affected the way weight transfers around and that can also be a factor. Theres plenty of small details to look at. I do know that pinion shims can be had pretty easily and get that back inline, and keep the u-joints happy if the change is great.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The rear end probably hopped because by raising the rear end of the leaf you are affecting the " trailing arm " angle of the leaf and pointing it into the dirt more . after learing a bit more about chassis setup and playing with different setups , the best way to lower the rear end would be to use drop hangers and stock shackles, it would lower the rear and actually improve the Bite the rear tires had , it was on my list to do with the leafs and clatrac setup but decided to go different . JMOP

And the funky angle on the leaf could screw with the travel arc and maybe bind the spring a bit .

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
The rear end probably hopped because by raising the rear end of the leaf you are affecting the " trailing arm " angle of the leaf and pointing it into the dirt more . after learing a bit more about chassis setup and playing with different setups , the best way to lower the rear end would be to use drop hangers and stock shackles, it would lower the rear and actually improve the Bite the rear tires had . JMOP

And the funky angle on the leaf could screw with the travel arc and maybe bind the spring a bit .

:thumb: Trent Speakith the truth :hug:

Theres alot of things to consider when it comes to chassis setup! I fought that battle plenty on our drag cars.