reverse not totally working like it should

pogi801

Feb 8, 2018
I am having a reverse issue. My reverse works somewhat. If I don't tow anything I can put the truck in reverse and it backs up when you let your foot off the break. If you give it gas it backs up then stops a little bit then continues to back up. I hooked up a snap on reader to it and notice the torque converter falling off. What's weird about the whole thing is that it's only reverse. I snow plow in this truck in Utah but the guy that did the snap on reader he things something wrong with the torque converter. The truck is pretty much stock other than S&B intake, exhaust, and efi live. I just don't want to pay someone to take the trans apart for nothing. I am located in Utah if anyone has an idea of what's going on. If I go to back up a hill it stops as if you are in neutral. Any help is much appreciated. We also ran for codes and there are so many but we don't know if they have been on there from day one. I've put about 50k miles on the truck from when I bought it with no issues. I have 101k on the truck.
Here is the google drive shared folder for the pictures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-3...N3CbRhcJ9u8K2u

Thanks,

Steve

pogi801

Feb 8, 2018
post the list of codes. converter affects all gears, not just reverse.

I put the the pictures up in that google drive folder because it's in a weird format. That being said when we ran the codes we didn't know if they were old or new. They wouldn't clear out but lots of TCM codes. I was going to take it to the dealer but I don't like to take things anywhere unless I have a general idea on how much things cost. I just have no clue where to even begin because who knows it could even be electrical.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Have you checked your t case fluid lately ? Have you changed fluid and both filters lately ? How often do you change the spin on filter ? The only reason I ask is because snow plowing can be very hard on equipment ! From all that back and forth 50000 times each winter with the eng almost wide open both ways ! There are sensors in t case and trany that can go bad with age and abuse , not saying you dont take care but its just the job .Good luck finding whats wrong ! Once James gets your codes im sure he can help !

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Need a lot more info. What year is the truck? Clear the codes and drive it to induce codes. List the codes in the order they come out. Don't need screen shots of graphs. It's better to use a Tech2. I would be looking at the sump filter for trash by peeling it open.

pogi801

Feb 8, 2018
I had a buddy scan it. I have just a cheap one on my phone and I'll see about running for codes if it will pick them up. I've plowed 3 times this year in the truck. I had the trans fluid flushed and filters changed about 4 months ago. I haven't checked the T C fluid. We tried to clear the codes and they wouldn't clear. Yeah I know plowing is hard on it and that's why every year I try and clear the fluid out and do what I can for maintenance. So far the truck has been good.

Thanks,

Steve

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Check the t case fluid asap you might be able to prevent a pump rub through , if you catch it in time ! And since Mike chimed in do what ever he says ! Good luck !

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if was in a different thread that already was de-railed, probably wouldnt have cared about deleting it all but we got a newbie with an interesting issue (to me atleast) and id like to see how its solved assuming he comes back with more info.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
if was in a different thread that already was de-railed, probably wouldnt have cared about deleting it all but we got a newbie with an interesting issue (to me atleast) and id like to see how its solved assuming he comes back with more info.

OP better get a TECH II on it PDQ, Mike L's patience will start to wear thin.

Fricking Snap On bullshit, ain't nobody got time for THAT!