Refinishing Black Wheels

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So I have a set of black Rockstars for summer rims and they are a little scratched up. I would like to tune them up so they look like new again.

Is there any polishes or finishing products I can use to bring them back to a new look or is my only option to paint them?

If so, would an endura paint work?

Powdercoating isn't an option as the fake chrome bolts would be disolved by the caustic cleaning soloution they use in the process.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Maybe try rubbing compound or 3M sctratch remover , try on the bacK maybe first though as i have never tried it.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
yea dale i know exactly what your dealing with i tried everything on those wheels some nimrod ran it through a carwash and that brake dust is baked on! i did find somone that would powdercoat them for 30$ each!

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
has a split nipple that push together to go in they will break coming out thats why make sure you get your new ones before you do it bc you cant reuse your old ones

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
the fake chrome bolts are replaceable i had to get new onew when the chrome came off mine

Where did you get them from? Are they hard to get the pieces out of the inside once you break the head off?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
that brake dust is baked on!

I used eagle one etching mag cleaner on my wheels that totally f'd by brake dust that was baked on too. Took it right off. They were machined aluminum wheels and they had paint between the spokes and it didn't hurt the paint either. They look brand new. I could not believe how good this stuff worked, I tried soooooo many things, I even wet sanded the brake dust off one whole wheel before I gave up... That left one wheel alittle more chrome looking than aluminum but you really can't tell unless you really checked it out. My buddy showed me this stuff a few weeks later ands its the shit! They look unbelieveable now

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give that stuff a whirl if I can find it.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
mine were black just the bolts were chrome but i just did a set of chrome wheels to black just sandblasted them but took forever thining out the sand so it did not eat the wheels turned out nice i thought.

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
mine were black just the bolts were chrome but i just did a set of chrome wheels to black just sandblasted them but took forever thining out the sand so it did not eat the wheels turned out nice i thought.

What you mean by thinning out the sand, lol? I can guess but just want to make sure I understand ya.:) Thanks again.:hug:

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
ours has lots of big crap in for blasting trailers to be coated that will pit and eat the wheels so you want it as fine as poss so the coating is smooth bc it hard to take chrome off so it takes forever im sure there are better ways than how i did it but thats all i had lol

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
from kmc and no after the two ears break they come right out

Thanks. I'll have to give them a call if the polishing doesn't work. I'd rather change them all as opposed to taping them up to paint.

Unless they are ridiculous expensive!!