Rear Wheel Studs Question

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
Does everyone elses rear wheel stud threads stop 3/16" before the brake rotor?

I picked up a new set of summer wheels that use a nose style lug nug rather than the typical conical lug. My front studs are threaded all the way to the brake rotor, but on the rear of my truck the threads stop about .150" before the rotor. This is causing the nose of my lug to bind on the non threaded part of the stud about an 1/8 inch before my wheel is actually tight. Just wondering if my truck had aftermarket studs installed in the rear before I got it. Here are pics of what I'm trying to explain.

Attachments

• 32909 001.jpg
    32909 001.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 32909 002.jpg
    32909 002.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
Anyone? I know someone wants to rotate their tires and take a peak for me :). I may try to get by the dealer today to see if he has any studs in stock for comparison.

GCncsuHD

Go Pack
Aug 21, 2008
Statesville/Raleigh NC
I would just get a 1/4" wheel spacer and be done with it.

:rofl: NO!
Are your new wheels steel? All aluminum aftermarket wheels are thick enough at the mounting surface that this is not an issue, but I could see a steel wheel maybe being that thin...But wouldn't think it would be less than 3/16 at the mounting surface.

NVM, just noticed you were using the shank style lugs, not the conical seats lol....Yea the stock studs are like that, you will probably have to go aftermarket to get some that will work with that style wheels/lugs.

Last edited:

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
That's normal.

I just put my summer wheels on last weekend.

Side Note: they are pretty weak, I pealed one off with little effort when the truck was new. I was changing out my wheels and one of the stock rear lug nuts got crossed up while backing it off (don't ask me how that happened). Then, I really had no choice but to just blast it off with a breaker bar. Took a lot less force than I thought it would. Dealer replaced it but they weren't too happy since the axle has to come out.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Axles come out easy though. Take off the wheel, take of the 8 bolts on the rear hub and bang, you got your axle out.

You might be able to change your studs easy enough if you really wanted to run those wheels. I doubt you would have problems returning to a taper style lug, although there is a possibility.

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
I'm almost positive thats standard issue.

You are correct. I should have updated this thread. I actually went to the dealer and looked at new studs and indeed I do have the factory studs in there. I ended up machining 1/8 inch off the shank of the lug nuts for the 16 rear lugs.