Allison 6sp: Rear output tranfer case seal

Lbz Josh

Mar 5, 2015
NE Ohio
I noticed while under my truck the other day there is atf fliud on the undercarriage of the cab that lines up with the area of the rear output of the t-case. I did some searching and read that its caused by a bushing and if you dont replace the bushing the seal will just keep going out. Anybody tell me how hard the bushing is to replace. I prefer to do my own work on my truck rather than take it to a shop an hour away.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Unless you have the 600.00 tool; you need to split the TC and press the old bushing out and press in new one.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
I would just change the seal and see what happens. It has worked fine for me many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I am having the same problem and just had mine out, did the pump rub and changed the seal.
It looks like it is coming from the end of the slip yoke buy the u-joint, the seal looks dry. I found no pump rub holes but did the pump rub kit because the transfer case was empty when I pulled it to build the transmission. Although I have noticed it is still leaking I haven't yet checked it close enough to confirm where it is actually coming from.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
Pull your driveshaft and put silicone down in the back end of the slip yoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I didn't see a vent hole in the yoke but then again I was laying in the dirt and feeling pretty lazy. I did check the little drain hole in the seal and there was no fluid between the fluid and dust lips, so I know its not the seal. There is oil on top of the rear housing of the transfer just like if it were a pump rub hole but I think it is being thrown by the joit. Like I said I just did the pump rub, if I missed a hole I really got to have my eyes checked because I saw no damage to the case at all.
I really hope you are right I don't want to pull it back out.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
My truck is covered in oil from the tcase. It has a new seal output seal and from what I can see the bushing has no visible wear that I could obviously see. Not sure what to do at this point. Tired of all the oil though

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My truck is covered in oil from the tcase. It has a new seal output seal and from what I can see the bushing has no visible wear that I could obviously see. Not sure what to do at this point. Tired of all the oil though
Make sure your driveshaft isn't bent or out of balance. I went through this last year, and I ended up having a bent driveshaft. I replaced my seal, checked the bushing, and all was good. Put it on jackstands, put it in gear, and watched the shadft spin and could see right away it was bent. Also there is a welch plug in the end of your slip yoke. If the slip yoke gets bottomed out, or even if you push the driveshaft forward to hard removing the shaft, you can knock the plug loose and it will sling oil out the end of the yoke by the u-joint.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Can the bushing be tapped out and new one tapped in? I don't know how I would set the case half in a press if I needed to.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Mike if there's anyway you could make note to take a picture or two the next time you press one out and install a new bushing I'd appreciate it. Thanks