Help: Ran unknown time w/ no air filter

HUNTazLBZ

Aug 11, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I was driving into work today, and check engine light came on. When i got in i opened the Volant air filter lid, to find my filter cone rolling around in the bottom of the box, not attached to the intake.

I have not got the code checked, i'm not sure if it will clear now that i re attached the filter.

Question: What damage could have been done? What can i do to clean/fix the dirt that made its way into the engine? General thoughts (even if its calling me stupid). Want to do anything to prevent future problems with the truck.

Thanks

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
You are probably OK, hopefully the light came on when the filter fell off and you didn't dust your motor. Any dirt that entered the motor is "water under the bridge". Only thing to do now is reattacch the filter, maybe make some kind of clamp or block so it doesn't happen again, get the code cleared and drive it to see if anything was affected. Check frequently for oil consuption or maybe do a compression test.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I wouldnt worry about it. I know guys that ran around for months with no filter with no ill effects at all. A early oil change wouldn't hurt though.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I'd just pull the mouthpiece or horn and inspect the turbo wheel. I'd imagine if that was unharmed nothing detrimental made it into the engine.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
^ that's what I would do. If the turbo looks good and it didn't swallow anything then you're good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Yup, just take off the whole intake until you reach the turbo and can see the wheel

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HUNTazLBZ

Aug 11, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Ok so i went to Autozone at lunch to have the code checked... P0672 = #2 glow plug circuit fault....? SOooooooo i can't see how one thing would equal the other... are these two unrelated issues? .... Is it easy to replace the glow plug? Looks like i have two things to do today, glow plug and check turbo!

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I ran mine for quite awhile with the mouthpiece just sitting in the valley. Not on purpose obviously but it didn't bother it at all