Quite a bit off topic

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Hey guys I know this doesnt have anything to do with duramax’s but maybe you can help. As I fallow some of you I can see you are into boating/maine toys. So I dont have or know anyone to ask any questions about this but im looking to percase a pontoon boat. Any input would be great. Its a 06 Bennington 2575rl it has 341.5 hours powered by a yamaha f225trx. Compression is even but low to me 125psi. Should be closer to 165-185? The trailer is a cheaper one with no brakes(thats a no go for me) but in ok condition. Other then that it doesnt look to be in bad shape pretty clean. Ill upload pictures and video tonight. Any insight or infor would be great. I grew up on the lake and know boats but completely new to the pontoon world.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Well it's been years since I've worked on them, but I seem to remember 185-190ish. Do you know if the engine was fully warmed up, throttle wide open, all plugs pulled, and batteries fully charged when compression taken? If the throttle was closed it can lower the compression readings by 40 or more psi.

As far as the Pontoon goes we don't have many of those around here so no help here.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Gauges vary. At east there even. Read article I'm attaching. Yamaha had issues from 2000-04. Some claim 05s also. That one may be fine but I would check date on motor.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/october/Yamaha-F225-Corrosion-Complaints.asp

But that being said can't beat them yamahas. Reason all the renters use them. I love my Honda also. I think it only had 125 in each cylinder. Just remember it can run great out of water but not in it if there's an issue. Price seams high to me but I'm use to dallas area. Spot of cheap boats around here. Have you searched Craigslist.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Id bet cylinders were dry and the rings need to be decarboned. Shock it with Yamaha ring free and retest it. If it's still low try another tester...

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
I also think price is high, but its end of season and im sure they dont want to sit on 20k for 7-8 months. Also being its coming into winter its kinda a rush so we can test drive it before the lakes freeze up there. I did read about the exaust rot and am aware. Yes I have been checking craigslist ,iboat, boattrader, ect. Been looking for some time now.
@NC smokin they did bring the motor up to temp on the hose befor test but am unsure how they tested it. Whats bad is I cant find what stock compression is.
I have the motor info but not sure if I can run it to see if this is a affected motor. Ill have to call yamaha