quick FF question for a friend

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I was talking to a guy on the tdi forum who has two LMM service trucks. neither have steering wheel controls. he said he can reset the fuel filter life/light on one, but the other one keeps popping back up. He has tried to get it to go away using both the pedal method and his Solus scanner. If you guys don't mind helping me out I'd like to give this guy a hand.

here's what he said
"They don't have steering wheel controls. Here is what happens:

I hook up the scanner and get to where I can reset the FF life. I hit "reset" and life goes from 0% to 100% then immediately back to 0%. On one truck - #2, I can reset it by doing this, but (right now) on the other one - #1, I am having no good luck. I am going to look at #2 right now and look at static FRP and whatever else I can see that may provide a clue."

here is the method I told him to use with the pedals, he said it does not fi the issue. didn't know if there was an updated procedure

"
This is the explanation i got from a buddy but i cant try it as my truck dose not have fuel filter life on it!!!!

FUEL FILTER LIFE RESET
This message will appear when a reset is performed either by using the steering wheel controls or the following manual procedure.

For vehicles with steering wheel controls, press and hold the select button for five seconds while the FUEL FILTER LIFE message is displayed. This message will appear on the DIC for ten seconds.

For vehicles without steering wheel controls, do the following:

Without pressing the pedals, turn the ignition key to the on position without starting the engine.
Wait five seconds.
Completely press the brake and the accelerator pedals simultaneously and hold for ten seconds. The system is now reset.
Turn the ignition key off.
The next time the engine is started, the message will no longer be displayed.

Let me know if it works?

Later
Caleb
"

Thanks fellas

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
Might want to check the wires on the bottom of the filter. It sounds like it is resetting but something is kicking it back off.