Question regarding diesel fuel!

dmax408

Nov 12, 2014
Hey guys, new to this forum, and new to the diesel world!
On all my previous cars, I have always pumped gas from well known gas stations such as chevron and shell, knowing that the gas quality at these places is better then the gas at the smaller gas stations with names you never even heard of. I have been doing the same with my LB7. But I have heard from a couple people that diesel is the same quality no matter where you fill up at because it all comes from the same refinery. Is this true? Or somewhat true?

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
The main thing is to buy diesel from a station that pumps a lot of fuel. The theory is, if they are pumping large volumes of fuel, the tanks won't have time to accumulate water, algae and other contaminants. The other thing to consider is, if you ever DO experience damage from contaminated fuel, the bigger companies are more likely to take responsibility and pay for repairs.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I get fuel anywhere and have never had an issue. Traveling like I do and spending lots of time in BFE you don't always have a choice. I will bypass some stations based on looks and who owns them. Got to use your judgment some.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Fuel may come from the same refinery (everyone in town here gets there fuel from the local refinery), but they all use there own additives, and off course every station uses fuel at different rates and has a different tank setup. I stay away from stations where the fuel lines to the tanks are near puddles or in low spots, and stick to stations near busy roads where there is constant use. No problems at all.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Not to derail this topic or anything...but
Speaking of fuel quality and additive packages different companies have, has anyone taken note that Shell has some new diesel additive called FiT? It's not a nitrogen enriched additive/diesel formula, it's an additive formula based off "cleaning agents" or something like that...

Supposedly it helps limit carbon build up, helps with water dispersion/management in the fuel and promotes "anti gelling" among other things...

Im just curious if it's "ok" to run (long term) the typical additives I normally use like Stanadyne and power service with this new Shell FiT diesel???

Any thoughts?
http://www.shell.us/products-servic...ogy/ten-questions-about-shell-diesel-fit.html