Pulley or Belt?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So Gents, I attempted to find the cause of a horrible squealing noise that stays constant throughout the RPM band. I went through the process of taking the fan shroud out/belt off to see if maybe the noise was being caused by an idler pulley. Nope. I got fed up with it and took it to the dealer only for them to tell me it is a squeaky belt? I paid the dealer to tell me that?? I am thinking it may be that in conjunction with a bad serp belt tensioner. Please let me know what you all think and if so what brand and part numbers do you all have for it. I also have an LTZ that has the dual alternators. Thanks.

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
The fan shroud doesn't have to come out to change the belt. take the belt off and spin the pulleys by hand. The tensioner and idlers are common.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Yeah, the pulleys wear out. The belt comes out without taking anything else off, you just have to get creative when stuffing it back in.

Try spinning the pulleys by hand, and check for play. Might also start the truck and ensure the noise is gone with the belt off. The water pump is gear driven, so you can run it quite a while with no belt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
IDK about an LMM but an LBZ belt isn't coming out until the nightmare inner shroud is out. That's why mine is a shop wall ornament.
Yeah that shroud is horrible on the LMM's as well. I couldn't even get to the tensioner pulley without taking it out. I am just pissed I paid the dealer money to tell me what I kinda already knew:mad:. Guess I was feeling like a genius that day:D. What brand of belt is going to give me the best wear??

glock36

Jul 21, 2012
Neosho Missouri
You could always try the ole bar of soap trick to eliminate the belt from the equation. Just use a bar of ivory soap and find a spot where you can access the drive surface of the belt and hold the soap to the belt, if the squeaking stops or goes away then you know it the belt.

Good luck
God speed

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
You could pour a little water on the belt with it running and if the noise goes away or changes it's the belt if not it's one or more of the pulleys.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
IDK about an LMM but an LBZ belt isn't coming out until the nightmare inner shroud is out. That's why mine is a shop wall ornament.

Just take the top bolt loose and push it forward to the point where you think it's about to break, then push it a little further. You should then be able to snake a belt tensioner tool in there on the tensioner and remove the belt. It sure isn't fun though.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Just take the top bolt loose and push it forward to the point where you think it's about to break, then push it a little further. You should then be able to snake a belt tensioner tool in there on the tensioner and remove the belt. It sure isn't fun though.

Yeah, I ended up doing this the second time and blew a vein in my wrist and multiple cuts/gouges on my hands/arms.:eek:. That shroud is one big P.I.T.A. Can't they just design something that makes a little more sense or at least Garage Guy friendly?:rofl:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

Yeah, I ended up doing this the second time and blew a vein in my wrist and multiple cuts/gouges on my hands/arms.:eek:. That shroud is one big P.I.T.A. Can't they just design something that makes a little more sense or at least Garage Guy friendly?:rofl:

It's a little tight but never a issue with changing my belt. And mines a little tighter with the twin cp3 kit on the truck. I use a nice adjustable Matco belt tensioner tool gets in there great.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
The Inner LBZ shroud was part of the Uh Oh... 'We need to address the LLY overheat problem' over-reaction. I have seen absolutely no difference in operating temperatures under any condition with or without a winter cover since it became a wall ornament in the shop.

Why bother to keep it installed?

Attachments

• Shroud.jpg
    Shroud.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: