Powerstroke question

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Alright I know this is a duramax board but I figure it can't hurt to ask on here too. I'm looking at getting a 94 Powerstroke and I got a couple questions. One, it's a flatbed. Will a 1/2 ton lwb bed fit on the F350 frame or do I need an F350 bed? And two do any of y'all know what tranny will bolt up to the 7.3? I'd like to convert it from 5 speed to automatic

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
The bed will fit as long as its a single rear wheel and the wheel base is the same, or it had a bed factory. If it was a C&C you need to measure wheel base. As for changing from stick to auto, I'm not touching that cause it's a sin. Auto to stick is the way. I will tell you some years Furd use different wire harnesses form auto to stick.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
It's a reg cab long wheel base. It is a dually but it's not staying that way. My plans are to lift it up on 2.5 ton axles and 50" tractor tires, which is why I want the auto instead of stick. I've had stick mud trucks before and they're fun but I hate having to pull the trans all the time to clean the mud from the clutch. Plus an auto is easier on parts

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah the AOD is what was behind the powerstrokes from 95 on I think. But it seems like I remember the old IDI 7.3s had C-6 trannys behind them? That's what I'm hoping because those C-6's are tough and dirt simple.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The POWERSTROKES came with the E4OD or 4R100 trans, the AOD is a light weight OD trans. You could probably bolt up a C-6 from behind a 7.3L IDI, but not sure on that one. I know in 95 the 7.3L poowersatroke had the E4OD as an optional trans, but in 94 the powerstroke only came with a 5 speed(?) manual trans.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
i had a 94 7.3L IDI and it had the stick. I talked with a couple guys and i'm sure it was the E40D in that year. I used to 4x4 the $*@# out of that truck and i never got mud in that thing, i even had i under water!!:D Worked great and never skipped a beat!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah I may leave the stick till something breaks or I get a deal on an auto. But now the guys going back and forth between keeping it and getting rid of it so I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get the thing! :(

Last edited: