PowerSlot probs/updates

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Well just took a look at my brakes and guess what? These PowerSlots are toasted. Rears were worse as usual but front insides were all worn down too. Im running the Hawk LTS (carbon ferrous) pads and rear insides were down but outsides good. Both fronts were good. Im guessing part of the problem was the damn typical bracketry on the calipers where the ears slide (Good ole Ohio winter salts). All the slides except maybe 1 or 2 were still reasonably greased. Good thing they all under warranty as that is up in July (3 years). Was gonna go with the EBC Kevlar pads but their warranty sucks and I wasnt sure kevlar would help in a truck application.

Anyone else running these rotors and pads? Prolly got 40K miles or more out of them in almost 3 years. Not too bad considering the abuse they get ;)

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Hmmm,

My stockers have 42,000 on them and look like brand new, hope i dont need to get rotors for a while.

But when i do i was thinking of "upgradeing" to those rotors.

I guess our heavy trucks just like to eat things up.

Plus you probably are trying to get home from the beer joint too quick!:rofl:

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Yeah........I went to 200,000 miles before touching the factory pads or rotors. A little clean-up cut on the rotors, install new GM pads and I'm off to try for another 200K!!! I see no reason to go aftermarket.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I got a set fro all four corners from Brake Performance that are dimpled and slotted. They have been real good so far and stop a lot better than the stockers. I could push through the brakes when boosting but now they hold great.

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
Well just took a look at my brakes and guess what? These PowerSlots are toasted. Rears were worse as usual but front insides were all worn down too. Im running the Hawk LTS (carbon ferrous) pads and rear insides were down but outsides good. Both fronts were good. Im guessing part of the problem was the damn typical bracketry on the calipers where the ears slide (Good ole Ohio winter salts). All the slides except maybe 1 or 2 were still reasonably greased. Good thing they all under warranty as that is up in July (3 years). Was gonna go with the EBC Kevlar pads but their warranty sucks and I wasnt sure kevlar would help in a truck application.

Anyone else running these rotors and pads? Prolly got 40K miles or more out of them in almost 3 years. Not too bad considering the abuse they get ;)

Did you ever get them warrantied? Did you ever get 'em working right?

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Yes sir. I even called Power Slot and talked to them about it personally. They said its a tossup with the pads. Better stopping calls for a more abrasive pad (like mine) but results in loss of rotor life. Although shouldnt be this bad. He also said since I use this truck as a severe duty that I should check and clean every year after winter. **** that I got better shit to do and they are all warrantied :D I got all warrantied and got new rear pads also. Fronts were good and Im not into ripping people off. Went with same Hawk Carbon Ferrous pads. I also spent hours fabbing the damn brake ears and slides so all was smooth as hell and moved very freely inside. I had to grind, belt sand, and use dremel to get em all correct. God forbid GM would put this much time into them huh? Tell a world of difference...even more so then when I originally put them on couple years back.

I talked to Summit Racing rep for over an hour deciding what to do with pads. I was going to go with the Kevlar pads from EBC until I found out their warranty is only 500 miles or 6 months. Riiiiiiight. So I stuck with the Hawks.

Should be done breaking in in about a week or two. Been towing with them since I put em on but trying to be easy on em. Big difference though. Thanks for the tips on the slides Brian. Those things are free as a bird in there.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
You guys down south and out west have it made with your brakes.

Every 5k, I remove my calipers to make sure the pads slide freely on the bracket. Sometimes I have to take a wire brush to them.