LLY: Power steering problem

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
Hi I have a 2004 duramax 2500 with the lly and having a power steering problem. Needed new pitman arms and tie rods so when I went to do those I saw there was a small leak in the power steering box so I figured while it was apart I should just change it. So I got a new one and installed it and blead it but now I'm not getting any power steering unless I give the truck some throttle. As soon as I let off of the throttle though it locks up. Wondering if anyone else has ever ran into this before? Maybe the pump or hydroboost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
Ya I checked the level and kept adding fluid as I primed it and it doesn't seem to be taking anymore so I'm guessing it's fully primed

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Ya I checked the level and kept adding fluid as I primed it and it doesn't seem to be taking anymore so I'm guessing it's fully primed

I had my stock pump do that at 26k miles after adding a cooler, I flushed it, workrdit and drove it for a week and never got better. Had to change pump out.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
I had my stock pump do that at 26k miles after adding a cooler, I flushed it, workrdit and drove it for a week and never got better. Had to change pump out.

Seems odd that the pump would be weak at the same time he changed out the steering box... not saying your experience is wrong. Just wondering if there isn't another issue at hand?

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
Ya not sure why the pump would go as soon at I changed the box. Is there any way I could test the pump before I go changing it to find that it's what's bad?

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Ya not sure why the pump would go as soon at I changed the box. Is there any way I could test the pump before I go changing it to find that it's what's bad?

Just an idea, and i know it would be a pain in the butt... but you could try putting the old box back on and see if anything changes?

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
lol that's with first thing I tried then I thought napa sold me a bad one so I exchanged it for another new one tried that one last night and still can't turn the wheel with the truck on the ground after bleeding

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
Ya ill have to try that. Hydro boost going bad wouldn't cause that same symptom would it?

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
No haven't tried letting it sit I'll have to try that today and see if the level drops at all

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
No haven't tried letting it sit I'll have to try that today and see if the level drops at all

Bad hydroboost will overheat the system and give the same symptoms, it's always a crap shoot when working on the steering system unless you rig up hoses with gauges and get pressures. Not sure of anyone that's ever done that though.

I just know I've put 4 pumps on this truck in 100k from heat and 5 on the LLY.

zstirling22

Jul 20, 2017
Okay thanks good to know. I'll try a new pump and see what happens

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Okay thanks good to know. I'll try a new pump and see what happens

Fwiw, I put a PSC pump on and a large cooler and mine steers better than stock.

I've bought used LMM pumps when I needed a spare, remans are hit and miss. But you can return the reman if yours is good, just tell them the pump was junk and your going GM replacement.