Picking the right filter over 500hp...

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Now I know the stock filter on my lbz is good to about 500hp and out filters and basically out performs all others. If your running a single turbo setup though, over 500hp, what then? I've been debating intakes and had a chat with another member and I honestly have no idea what to use when I upgrade my turbo and start building the motor. Is the filter the component that limits the stock hp limit to 500? Or is it the piping to the turbo restricting the actual amount of air? Or is it the turbo itself causing the limit? What about twin setups?

I'd love to stick with the powercore, and so I have been looking at running a Volant. Seems like most go to AFE or S&B when they go to a larger single or twins or even triples. Just trying to find out how best decide on what filter is best to run on an upgraded setup.

For example, I would like to run a dp 3794 and down the road twin it. Will a powercore filter still provide the filtration I desire but also the flow I need to feed the motor what it needs? Or do I have to settle for subpar filtration to achieve the required flow of air to feed the motor.

Help?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I run a oiled 6" inlet airaid filter with my s480 single. It works great. Pull the intake off and the compressor is clean even after a month+ of boosting.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I think the limiting factor of the stock filter is how/where it pulls air into the air box from...it just can't pull in enough volume...but I don't even remember what the stock airbox looks like, lol, I had the PPE mod done to mine the first week I owned the truck!

I installed the Banks Ram Air intake with the super scoop about 2yrs ago or so, it does pretty well as far as filtering goes, however I've been meaning to get the pre-filter for it

All in all, I think as long as the new intake youre looking at has a scoop or brings in air from some other point other than/as well as the inner fender, you'll have a benefit/gain in available air volume

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I ran the banks on my single. It worked well. I have a s&b now, and it's not bad either.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I think it's not so much the kit he'd like to know but the actual filter. The Volant can be used with the power core and what I think he wants to know is if he get the Volant CAI with power core filter, is that filter going to limit him to 500-550? The 3794 will make more and I believe he wants to know if this is one he should look into getti MG or go with an s&b or afe. Is the power core going to be the choke point of the entire system and not allow the air flow for more hp than what the stock intake is capable of?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
So if I ran a powercore in a way where it could draw more air then it shouldn't have a problem feeding more air. Not a matter of filter restriction so much as a box restriction?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
I think it's not so much the kit he'd like to know but the actual filter. The Volant can be used with the power core and what I think he wants to know is if he get the Volant CAI with power core filter, is that filter going to limit him to 500-550? The 3794 will make more and I believe he wants to know if this is one he should look into getti MG or go with an s&b or afe. Is the power core going to be the choke point of the entire system and not allow the air flow for more hp than what the stock intake is capable of?

Bingo:thumb::hug:

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Oh, I see. All I know is that we run the powercores on our tractors, and they are very small filters for the hp. You could contact Donaldson and see what the max cfm rating is.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Oh, I see. All I know is that we run the powercores on our tractors, and they are very small filters for the hp. You could contact Donaldson and see what the max cfm rating is.
Didn't think of that as an option but that would probably be the best one

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
I have been running the factory gutted lbz setup and Jane neem wondering the same. When you step past 500 hp what's the next step for filtration?

295PRO

Jan 30, 2015
I just got a banks. Haven't had time to install it yet. Looking froward to seeing what it does for air flow.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I emailed s&b yesterday and this is what they emailed me....

This is what I asked...

*want to know if it is OK to run your oiled filter on my turbo diesel. A lot of people say not to run oiled filters on a turbo diesel because it can harm the turbo since it pulls more air in than a regular engine with out a turbo. Should I run your dry filter with my s&b intake system?

This is the response I got....

Our oiled filters are designed to run on turbo diesel vehicles. We test our filters at 150% max cfm to ensure that oil does not get sucked into the turbo. Also as long as the filter is oiled to the pre determined oil amount correctly you should have no issues. Our dry filters perform just as good and the use is a personal preference whether you want to clean the oiled or through away the dry and buy another.

I wonder if this is good enough for above 500hp?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I had an S&B on my intake, I switched to an AFE prodry. If you go to the website, you can build a filter to the length/dia base you need, and can get one that's bigger than most kits supply.

I would say a modified stock airbox with a filter will support a lot more than 500hp...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I run S&B on every on that I do unless the customer just demands different. The have a lot of media surface area compared to most and do a excellent job on filtering out particles. They are also reasonable on cost. Everyone has their opinion but I believe they are the best bang for the buck.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I made 582hp on a PPE modded stock intake with a dirty filter. Even ran my billet 4094 on the same set up for awhile and I'm sure it made 600 hp. Switched to an open intake and noticed some increase in spool up but can't say I could feel a large power increase.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I had an S&B on my intake, I switched to an AFE prodry. If you go to the website, you can build a filter to the length/dia base you need, and can get one that's bigger than most kits supply.

I would say a modified stock airbox with a filter will support a lot more than 500hp...

Is the prodry washable or is it a use and throw away item?

I run S&B on every on that I do unless the customer just demands different. The have a lot of media surface area compared to most and do a excellent job on filtering out particles. They are also reasonable on cost. Everyone has their opinion but I believe they are the best bang for the buck.

I think their air filters are quite good also. I ran one for 5 years cleaning not so regularly and it held up well.
Their air boxes, not so much.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Is the prodry washable or is it a use and throw away item?

I think their air filters are quite good also. I ran one for 5 years cleaning not so regularly and it held up well.
Their air boxes, not so much.

Just wash the Prodry, let it air out and install :thumb: I've even heated it in the oven set to 100° when in a hurry.

I'm not convinced the S&B that came on my intake was any better, after a few washes I could still see small holes when you shined a light through it. They still seem to be better than K&N setups, but after seeing an AFE proguard7 I'd run that if I wanted an oiled filter.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Interesting. I need a new air filter to go on my S480 twin set. I will look into the prodry. Thanks.