LMM: P0101 and snow ingestion permanent fix???

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm getting tired of having LMM's come in to the shop with snow caked on the air filter and setting a P0101. GM's fix is to just run the winter cover which I think is a load of crap and I'm getting tired of customers looking at me like I don't want to do my job. Any of you cold weather LMM owners figured out a permanent fix to prevent snow ingestion into the air box WITHOUT having to utilize the front winter guard? Any baffles or shields?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Not a bad idea. Or I wonder if just some window screen would work? I believe the snow enters in through the grille and can make its way around the headlight/radiator support into the passenger fender where the intake gets its air. I'd like to prevent the snow from even getting close to the air box period so maybe something on the passenger side, in-between the grille and intercooler possibly?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Last I checked most dealers ordered the front cover and a extra air box lid and drilled. For the owner to swap out in the winter and summer. The engine bay temps with the added holes helped melt the snow and truck pulled air from the top of air box.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Got the same issue with my LML work truck. Filter was 3/4 plugged with a 2-4" thick chunk of ice/snow.
I think a chunk of frog skin pre-filter screen over the inlet to the air box would fix this. It's what they use on sleds to prevent the same issue.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So maybe just a little screen/pre-filter located in the fender itself where the filter box sucks it's air in? I'll have to try it on my dad's LMM.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
After doing the PPE air box mod I glued a piece window screen where the propeller used to be to keep out large pieces of debris. Idk if this would help with snow or not.