Overheating 01

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
So I have a guy call me and ask for help. I dont have the truck in front of me so all I can go by is what he tells me. The truck is an 01 with 140k on it. Tranny has developed an overheat issue. The guy dropped the pan and changed the internal filter, spin on and and fluid that was in the pan with transynd. drove the truck for a day and it is still overheating. He can take a laser temp gun and gave me temp reading from the pan/180*, the spin-on/210*, the lines at the cooler are 92* and coming out of the cooler are 90*.

hearing all that makes me think that there is a blockage from the trans output line going to the tranny cooler.

I need some ideas, truck has an intake and exhaust other than that completely stock.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I don't know about later models, but I know the radiator out of my 01 donor was EXTREMELY restrictive through the radiator. It wouldn't take much to have plugged up the passages in it. Also make sure it doesn't have a kink in the lines anywhere.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I don't know about later models, but I know the radiator out of my 01 donor was EXTREMELY restrictive through the radiator. It wouldn't take much to have plugged up the passages in it. Also make sure it doesn't have a kink in the lines anywhere.

Good point. The hoses have been known to collapse.

FIREFIGHTER 503

GEORGIA DIESEL
Dec 4, 2008
I got an issue with an 01 identical to the one described but the cooler lines have been blown out and there is good flow, no restriction found, still overheats within 20 miles even if it's driven very easy. has been checked with an infrared thermometer to rule out a faulty gauge, tranny gets hot, lines seem to stay cool, Any other ideas?

SonicAudio

Jan 25, 2009
Texas
I got an issue with an 01 identical to the one described but the cooler lines have been blown out and there is good flow, no restriction found, still overheats within 20 miles even if it's driven very easy. has been checked with an infrared thermometer to rule out a faulty gauge, tranny gets hot, lines seem to stay cool, Any other ideas?

not a trans guy in any way but if what you describe is good flow the TC may not be locking and causing the heat issue