Outdoor Wood Burners

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I am curious if any of you have wood burners, sell them or manufacture them. Where I work, we make muclh for landscaping, so we recycle pallets for the dyed mulches and we grind up plywood and crates for boiler fuel. I am just wondering if there is anyway that we could make that boiler fuel into something that could be used in the out door wood burners. Anybody have any ideas or experiences with it?

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
A outdoor wood boiler or gassifier stove will burn about anything wood related. The dryer the wood the better. Usually you leave the wood in decent chuncks so it last longer. I would think if the stuff was dry enough it would burn in one but who knows how long it would last. Central boiler makes a pallet stove. http://www.centralboiler.com/models.php

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
My dad runs an outdoor wood burner. He is a chain saw artist with an endless supply of wood. Like said above the bigger chunks will burn longer and different wood burns hotter than others. Hedge seems to b about the best so he saves it for the winter months. Dry wood burns real quick so u r constantly filling it up. So dry wood gets used in the spring and fall. He heats his house and a 30x30 shop. It uses water that is maintained at a certain temperature(130*?) and uses a pump to circulate through the furnace in the house and a radiator inside the shop. They live in the country and save tons of dough on propane.

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
The stuff is pretty rough. I think we run it through either a 3" screen or a 5" screen. The problem is packaging. When the papermills pick it up they use a semi trailer that loads straight into the furnace hopper. For home owners with wood burners you would have to grind it finer and then compress it into a log of some sort. To go that route will probably require investing in equipment. Risky if you are not sure of the market for it. I thought maybe a guy could run it through a baler and sell it like that! :D Not too sure if that would work. Seems like a nice tight bale of it would burn for awhile. Easy to handle, stack and load. Problem is keeping it in that form. Twostings tied around it probably won't work; one would almost need a net of some sort. Sorry for the ramble, just doing some thinking 'outloud'.