Oil pump noise

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I was under the truck looking things over and noticed my oil pump is rather noisy, I heard the noise before the engine was tore down but never paid attention, any reason an LMM pump would be loud? Oil pressure is 60 psi cold at idle and 25ish hot.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I’ve searched for hours, so it’s either f’ed up pump gear or some metal is taking the pump out, there was some real fine metal in the oil filter when I did my first change, didn’t put a magnet across it like I should have, I’ll change the filter this weekend and see what it looks like, I figured it was just everything breaking in as I’ve seen it in other motors.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve searched for hours, so it’s either f’ed up pump gear or some metal is taking the pump out, there was some real fine metal in the oil filter when I did my first change, didn’t put a magnet across it like I should have, I’ll change the filter this weekend and see what it looks like, I figured it was just everything breaking in as I’ve seen it in other motors.

ive had mine whining for about 30k miles now (it may have when i built the engine but hard to remember). Its the only one ive heard do it. i thought it was the water pump but putting a stethiscope on says the noise comes from the oil pump. i dont like it and only really hear it at idle but pressure never varys and filters are clean. im kind of wondering if the cam gear is a bit torn up from the water pump gear teeth not being the correct pattern when i replaced it way back when and causing the oil pump to whine. the waterpump made alot of whining noise back then and started quieting down as i drove it. it was a known issue that the pump gears were not made like they should have been and caused a whine. Johnny (gasuout) was the first to really report the issue.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Did you do a complete rebuild with new rings and bearings?

If you did a complete rebuild, I was told about 30,000 miles before making the change over to synthetic.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Did you do a complete rebuild with new rings and bearings?

If you did a complete rebuild, I was told about 30,000 miles before making the change over to synthetic.

Partial rebuild. I basically put new rod bearings and pistons in with flipped LLY rings. Nothing else was touched other than cleaning and inspecting everything. Wish I would have sent the block and rotating assembly to have balanced now because this thing vibrates like hell still, but wasn’t interested putting 4-5k in a 10 year old 103k mile work truck.