oil in coolant

maxed out

Oct 3, 2011
ok so I had a customer bring in a 2005 lly engine in a 3500 completely stock no mods . they had installed new head gaskets 1 week prior they also had the heads rebuilt and a new turbo it ran for a week and spun all the mains . when i disassembled it there was alot of oil in the radiator . didnt think that much about it because there were a lot of things that were not correctly installed and they did the head gaskets with the engine in the truck . so i started over with a completely different short block used c grade head gaskets and there heads and turbo it has been running about 500 miles now and runs great but still getting oil in overflow tank, no coolant in engine oil. just oil in coolant changed the oil cooler out thinking that might be the prob but not the case . i have bypassed the turbo coolant hoses and let it idle for an hour and no oil there either . i know there is an oil passage in the center of the heads for the rocker shaft but the head would have to be cracked there right ? any other ideas ? thanks

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Is the engine losing oil?
If not it could be residual in the hoses/radiator.
What kind of turbo is on it? Is it water cooled?

maxed out

Oct 3, 2011
all ready switched out the oil. cooler egr cooler is gone and wouldnt mix oil and coolant . has stock water cooled turbo but disconnected the coolant lines and let it idle for an hour with no oil comeing out of the coolant nipples on the turbo

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Again is the engine losing oil or could this be residual that didn't get cleaned out? I have run into that issue before.
If it's losing oil it can't be just simple migration it has to be pressurized oil getting into the cooling system and there are only a couple places that can happen. Did you have the heads checked to make sure they weren't warped and didn't have any scratches in them or the block surface? It doesn't take much for the sealing surface of the HG to fail.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Did you have the heads checked to make sure they weren't warped and didn't have any scratches in them or the block surface? It doesn't take much for the sealing surface of the HG to fail.

^this

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
And the '05 LLY was REALLY bad for the headgasket failure issue moreso than the other years from what I have seen and heard.

maxed out

Oct 3, 2011
i understand it has to be pressurised more than the pressure in the cooling system to transfer and it is loseing oil the heads were resurfaced when they installed new head gaskets and ran for a week