Not sure what options are right for my truck

GregorySalatino

Mar 2, 2015
I am new to this forum and new to owning a dmax. I have had a cummins for the last 10 years so i am somewhat familiar with diesels. I have been searching and reading around on here for a week or so and i can't find everything that i need to know in order to get some extra fuel milage out of my truck. I drive it daily and tow a 10,000 lb trailer on weekends through the summer. I am not worried about the fuel milage with the trailer. Just wanting to try and get some more out of it when unloaded. It seems to me that getting rid of the egr and dpf are a big step towards better fuel economy. I would like to keep my stock exhaust if possible, mostly because i like the look of it. Is getting a new intake a must or can i put a better filter in and mod the box? I also understand i need a tune. Is that something i can take to a competant diesel shop and have done or do i have to buy a tuner? Any information, input, ideas would be of a huge help.

My truck is a 2008 with 80,000 miles on it. Thanks for the help.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
First off, it will take years (depending on how much you drive) before you get your money back on a tuner, mpg wise

But as for tuners go, most of the time its personal preference between some of the more popular tuners such as Idaho Rob, Kory Willis, Tony at Ridgerunner, Mark at Danville, etc... They all do good work

I dont know much about LMMs as far as their DPFs and EGRs go. But from what I've read in most cases, they usually end up being deleted

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
You should be fine with some simple mods to the stock air box. I would reconsider the exhaust though, and get a good flowing down pipe. For tuning go with EFI Live and you can pick form many great tuners, I use PPEI but that is just one of many. I know that you are just looking for fuel mileage but be ware it can be addictive. Being as you tow I would at least talk to Mike L at Englewood Transmission. The Allison is a great very robust transmission but money spent here will not be regretted.
Welcome aboard you're in a great place to get the info you seek. :thumb:

GregorySalatino

Mar 2, 2015
Is there a link with information about modifying the air box? I have been readin adecient amount about different filters. I have always used a k&n, but i have heard that the oil on oiled filters can harm the turbo. Is there any truth to that? What brand filter do you guys suggest? I know there are a lot of different brands and everbody probably has their own opinion, but i am looking for suggestions on good filters. Also, is there a how to link on deleting the egr? I had read that there is something you have to install to block off where the egr was.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Run the factory filter. It is more than good enough. Actually pretty darn hard to beat.

Konahoss

Feb 23, 2014
I agree, I would tune (PPEI) delete the DPF and put a 4" Flopro exhaust on with a muffler. It won't be loud or drone.

Erick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
DPF delete and the necessary efi live tuning with a few tweaks for mpg... That will be the biggest bang for your buck. Might as well do a full 4" and delete the cat while your there.

There are a ton of over little things that can be done as well. You may look into an Egr blocker plate and pcv reroute for the sake of your motor. It won't really effect mpg but they're cheap and keep junk out of your intake.

GregorySalatino

Mar 2, 2015
Will a 4" exhaust with a muffler be much louder than stock? The duramax is pretty quit to begin with and i would like to keep it that way. In my younger days i would have wanted it to be as loud as possible. Lol

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
There are plenty of options now to keep them fairly mild sounding. I've seen the "quiet tone" front pipes and "quiet tone" mufflers. However, I haven't personally heard them. I have seen several different threads about them as your not the first guy that wants better flow without being loud.

Time for more reading on your part. I will comment that I have always preferred the MBRP systems. In my experience they install easier and don't sag overtime.

dzimbric

Oct 21, 2015
Shallotte, NC
I just had a new 4 inch exhaust installed with the dpf/cat delete on my 2008 and did not notice any considerable increase in sound except when at cold idle. Actually it sounds pretty sweet now.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Dpf is the big thing for mpg. Downpipe would be useless for you.

What's your location? There might be a competent tuner close to you. That way you won't need to buy an autocal. I'd recommend getting a dsp2 with an economy tune and a tow tune with turbo braking. You'll love it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Emissions delete will help alot! But check your local laws, first. And honestly the only way your going to have any noticeable mpg gain is with some weight reduction and the right tire size. The stock filter and exhaust flow plenty. And with a tune your just going to be too tempted to floor it...