Not sure were to post this 4x4 question....

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and not sure where I should post this question, so please let me know if I goofed. I just purchased a 2002 2500 HD, which of course has the LB7 and Allison 1000 trans, anyway, it is a 4x4 with the HD trailer package, including the Posi rear end, but something has me a bit baffled, I thought all of these Dmax's had the "push button" 4 wheel drive system, however, mine has a "hand shifter" on the floor. Thus my question is, is this normal, was I in error thinking they ALL were the push button, or what? Also, does this mean I still have the NV263 Tcase, or could it be something else? Thank you in advance for your expertise, and assistance!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Depending on which particular trim level or package that was purchased dictates the 4x4 set up shifter verses electronic

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
They could be floor shift or push button. MOST were push button, but definately not all were. Most ZF6 trucks seem to have a floor shift, but some say they have seen a ZF6 truck with a push button transfer case. If it was ordered with the center console then it had to have push button as the console went from the dash to the seat and left no room for the floor shifter, otherwise floor shift could be had.

callie454

Feb 13, 2014
Long Island
To quote DURAtotheMAX:
"contrary to popular belief, the manual-shift transfer case isnt "fail-safe" and "more reliable" than the electric-shift one.

Because, surprise surprise, even the manual-shift transfer case still uses an electronically disconnected front axle. So if the computer, wiring, or front axle encoder motor craps out, you can shift your "bad ass old school" manual 4x4 lever all you want, and you still wont go anywhere.

They are both equally strong and share almost all of the same parts."

I have an LS w/o console and I've got the lever actuated transfer case. I've seen LS trucks without console using the push button TFC, so I doubt that it has much to do with the trim package.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
If it isn't trim as I stated I also said it could be of a package you know how they do dumb crap like if you want heated seats the delete the glove box light! if you want a vinyl matte then you have to manual 4x4 shiffter. Something like that.

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Thanks guys for all the great input, I really appreciate it! This is my first Dmax, and just love it! I did a vin check, and according to that I have an LS model, with HD trailer/towing packages, a couple "package options" that don't say what they really are, and lots of other goodies, like the Posi rear end (of course with the standard 3:73 gears), cruise control, what I guess is a HD brake package(not sure about this, though it does mention a "brake package"), split bench seat with no console (maybe why mine is a floor shift?), cold climate option (what ever that is?), HD trans cooler, engine oil cooler package(is that a HD oil cooler as well?), and interestingly enough it says it has a "2 inch HD body lift" (I didn't even know this was a factory option!), also says high capacity air filter, tinted glass, trailer wiring package,105 amp alternator, block heater,fold down rear seat, etc.. Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate all your kindness, and knowledge!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
To quote DURAtotheMAX:
"contrary to popular belief, the manual-shift transfer case isnt "fail-safe" and "more reliable" than the electric-shift one.

Because, surprise surprise, even the manual-shift transfer case still uses an electronically disconnected front axle. So if the computer, wiring, or front axle encoder motor craps out, you can shift your "bad ass old school" manual 4x4 lever all you want, and you still wont go anywhere.

They are both equally strong and share almost all of the same parts."

I have an LS w/o console and I've got the lever actuated transfer case. I've seen LS trucks without console using the push button TFC, so I doubt that it has much to do with the trim package.
The top level trim package has the push button 4wd because they all come with a full floor console which means they can't have a floor shifted transfer case.

callie454

Feb 13, 2014
Long Island
The top level trim package has the push button 4wd because they all come with a full floor console which means they can't have a floor shifted transfer case.

Right. Console overrides floor shift. No console? You choose how it shifts, regardless of trim level.