Nitto 555R's

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Anyone know if these are decent to run on the street as well as the track? I'm looking at going with 305/35R20 and was curious as to how these would hold up. Thanks guys

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Drag radials are a really soft compound tire. Under the weight of our trucks, they will get very hot with extended road use, and since the compound is so soft, the tread life will be horrible. I would guess you might get 1k miles out of a set if you ran them all the time. They're really a track only tire.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Which proxies? Cause there's a few different ones and I wasn't sure what'd be rated for our trucks...keepinng in mind I don't tow just race and daily drive it

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I had good luck with a set of worn out 265 all terrains that were siped.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I see dennis Perry's boy using nitto 420S tires on his. Toyo proxes STII's are supposed to be fairly sticky

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Nitto 555R's are treadwear 100 last time I bought some. My experience is only with cars. They like heat, but don't heat them on asphalt, only wet concrete. It glazes them somehow. Their grip is somewhere between a normal street tire and a slick. Not as good as BFG's, M&H, Hoosier, etc, but they will last a lot longer when used on the street.

Expect about 1/3 the mileage that you would see from the factory tires. They are dangerous in heavy rain.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
For some reason, we got a lot of flats on the Yoko's. They hooked well, but not noticeably better than the Proxies. They also did not last as long as the Proxies.

I recommend the Toyo Proxies or the BFG KDW's as the best of the "street/strip/dirt" tires. The Toyo's are a bit stickier, and the KDW's last a bit longer.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks for all the help...think toyos it's gonna be anyone know a good place that stocks them or where has the best price?

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Just wondering if anyone knows of a shop that stocks street tires for our trucks? I'm not a very patient person and was just wanting to see if anyone knew of anywhere that kept them in stock versus having to go out and order them and wait...