Nexus 7 installation write up

cmmiller53

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Indiana
Hey everybody, so i stole the idea from DuramaxD here on the forum to install a nexus 7 in the dash of my truck instead of using a standard headunit. I got the idea from him but didnt get much information on how to actually do it including the software needed on the nexus so here goes my first how to write up.
Note: Im terrible at taking pictures as i go, so i will update with more pictures by the end of the week

Parts Needed
• Nexus 7(2013 Model)- http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJDS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460597000&sr=1-2&keywords=nexus+7
• USB OTG Y cable- http://www.ebay.com/itm/191805977770?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
• USB DAC- http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
• USB Hub- http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Mountable-Rugged-Industrial-ST4200USBM/dp/B001H7AFO6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
• Car Audio Amp of your choice
• Speakers Of Choice
• Hard Case To Fabricate Mount
• Stock Radio Or other Mounting Kit

On the Tech side of things is where I got a little complicated, I Rooted the nexus tablet and installed a custom Kernel from Timnur https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/ What this Kernel does is gives the tablet the ability to send Audio out of the USB through the OTG Y Cable, it also allows for Fixed Installation Mode, Which will power the device up when it gets power from the ignition on, and will power the device into a deep sleep) when it loses battery power, this allows the tablet to remain charged without drawing from your car battery for longer periods of time than if you just put it to sleep. Then when power is returned to the device during ignition, it immediately boots back up for use.

Once this process is done it is really smooth sailing. I went to the junkyard and found a water damaged stock radio for $12 and gutted it down to the shell. I used this to mount my components inside of, and I epoxied my tablet case to the front side similar to a double din, after some adjustment it sits perfectly behind the bezel of my truck with zero modification to alter the bezel.
The only wiring required at the tablet is
Ignition Power
Ground
RCA Audio Out(to Speaker Amplifier)
I stole the power and ground from the stock harness
For my amplifier I used a crunch amp set to 3 channels 1-2 for my left right speaker output, and 3 for mono subwoofer output
For now I do all of my audio using Spotify, but you can use whatever music application you find to streamline your listening experience

Steering wheel control Integration will be coming soon using a Joycon EXR http://www.ebay.com/itm/CarPC-JoyCon-EXR-/160850527712?hash=item25737045e0:g:D5IAAOxyoA1RNT-s

Attachments

• nexus 7 install.jpg
    nexus 7 install.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 82

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
That's awesome! Any way to make it output XM if you've got a receiver?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
All you had to do was ask if you needed more info man :hug:

Timur's kernel makes is pretty simple to do a fixed install though.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's awesome.

I didn't look hard at the nexus you linked, but can't tell in the pic you posted... Does the Nexus have a "home" button on the front like an iphone/pad and samsung phones/tablets do? I'm just asking because I don't see it in the pic so I was just curious how you navigate the unit. It's android though, right?

Could you hook up an AM-FM transmitter to the audio input of that UCA222 to pickup AM & FM stations as well or are you stuck with internet radio only? If internet/app only, are there are other apps besides iheart radio that broadcast radio stations?

How does it have service? Cell service plan of it's own or do you have to use your cell phone as a hot spot or...?

Regardless, I wish it was easier to get a double din in a 99-02 chevy. :eek:

cmmiller53

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Indiana
All you had to do was ask if you needed more info man :hug:

Timur's kernel makes is pretty simple to do a fixed install though.

It was no issue looking up the kernel info, everything else i used from your post and the video of your setup, without that i never wouldve gotten the idea:thumb:

cmmiller53

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Indiana
I will try and get some pictures today after class of the install because nobody likes a pictureless thread!!
I also ordered the JoyCon unit to integrate my steering wheel controls, that should be in next week!

Does the GPS antenna work OK when installed in the dash?

I havent gotten a chance to test out the GPS function, supposedly the nexus has a built in GPS antenna and does not need to be streaming cellular to use certain NAV functions

That's awesome! Any way to make it output XM if you've got a receiver?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I never thought of that one! i dont have nor do i use xm so i am not sure how it would work, there is a RCA input on the DAC that could possibly be used, or if you could set something up to use through one of the USB ports possibly.

That's awesome.

I didn't look hard at the nexus you linked, but can't tell in the pic you posted... Does the Nexus have a "home" button on the front like an iphone/pad and samsung phones/tablets do? I'm just asking because I don't see it in the pic so I was just curious how you navigate the unit. It's android though, right?

Could you hook up an AM-FM transmitter to the audio input of that UCA222 to pickup AM & FM stations as well or are you stuck with internet radio only? If internet/app only, are there are other apps besides iheart radio that broadcast radio stations?

How does it have service? Cell service plan of it's own or do you have to use your cell phone as a hot spot or...?

Yes the nexus has a Back Home and Menu button like most android phones so navigation is fairly simple, i believe there is a way to transmit AM/FM but i havent gone down that path yet because i hate listening to the radio, to many commercials and not enough variety in music.
I use a WIFI only model because i already had the tablet, you could get an LTE model and use cellular that way, or a product called VINLI that can turn your car into a mobile WIFI hotspot.
I do all my music through spotify like this, i create playlists based on the music i listen to on my phone(spotify) and i save them all for offline use on the tablet, when i want to update my music playlists all i have to do is pull into the garage and connect the tablet to wifi to let the songs download! having LTE would make the process simpler but im trying to work with what i already have!:thumb:

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
That's awesome.

Regardless, I wish it was easier to get a double din in a 99-02 chevy. :eek:
I have seen double din conversion kits, but I'm not sure how good they would work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cmmiller53

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Indiana
Here it is, pretty simple to do, just some epoxy holding the case to the radio frame.
34b6b6ddb1b5ed6334b648dec1e4663a.jpg
b43b374b67a3a1ade9f752488bf4aa53.jpg
263c763d250c182dc10dc49c3217b26d.jpg
b3535e2b183bfdc7399accc77920d464.jpg
4773ea14e35e684e5a587d5d4c838b67.jpg
3052d40f924d412459d268276a326560.jpg

And a little secret ;) android has a GoPro app so I can view and control my GoPro when it's setup at the track this year
f65e9d18b0b23ffec0dc47f3ac4fa085.jpg
09c9494f9c886311fd45a44e756741db.jpg

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Why would you want to? I find the stock bose stuff to be lacking.

Oh Bose in the classic trucks is subpar without question. Just don't feel the need for two amps in the truck (door/sub). Then sorting out a box for the replacement sub, factory one is well hidden. I like OEM appearing... "Wants tablet for head unit"...I know right...:(

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
Oh Bose in the classic trucks is subpar without question. Just don't feel the need for two amps in the truck (door/sub). Then sorting out a box for the replacement sub, factory one is well hidden. I like OEM appearing... "Wants tablet for head unit"...I know right...:(

I went from a double din to factory bose... I'm trying to draw the line somewhere but seeing this and ipads in dashes is just to much push. Really just want my single cab back.:mad:

gtrslngrchris

Jan 8, 2016

The factory Bose subwoofer in the classic trucks is actually really awesome if you give it an amp. The Bose amp powers both the rear speakers and the little sub if you look at the wiring diagram. I took a cheapy throwaway amp and a line level converter and powered the sub and left the Bose amp to power the rear door speakers and the factory headunit to power the fronts and with no other changes the factory system sound really badass by comparison.

Here's a link to my build thread where I posted about doing this to my friends' truck.