Newest Project

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
This is me and my old mans newest project. I'd love to swap in a Duramax/Alli combo but its just to cherry to do that ;).
Its a 95% original 1972 IH Scout ll. My oldest brother stumbled on it in New Mexico while headed to work one day, once he told my dad about it my dad bought it sight unseen and had my bro tow it to Houston where we met him (1/2 way point). It has very little rust and every single thing works except the A/C. The original A.M. Radio plays, all the dash lights work, even the parking brake holds strong. It gets even better, we open up the glove box and find the original owners manual complete with service records handwritten in the back. It amazes me how well this thing runs and drives, even with the POS Ford carb that someone stuck on it. Our plans are to just strip it down, fix the dings and dents, paint it charcoal grey, and do a small lift (enough to fit a 33" mud terrain). We aren't rebuilding anything unless we have to, the drivetrain is just going to get cleaned up, resealed and painted. We are planning on converting it over to Fuel Injection and replacing the clutch though just for drivability. Its got the 304 IH V8, Granny low 4 speed, and a Dana 44 rear end with the IH version of the Detroit locker. What do yall think??
THESCOUT2.jpg

thescout4.jpg

thescout3.jpg

THESCOUT.jpg

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it'll be done within a year at the most. The funny part is it'll probably cost my dad less to redo this whole truck than I have in just the motor of my Duramax :rolleyes:

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
She runs and rides like a dream. Fuel injected, little bit of a cam, headers, and super 44 flowmasters. All I did to the motor was new rings and bearings. Still running the original pistons and cranks. It is my driver since my truck is dead, guess you could say thats the silver lining in my situation

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371594110034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371594110034.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371594122894.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371594122894.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371594135097.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371594135097.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 38

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
She sure did clean up well.

Was helping a buddy restore his a few years ago. Bought it from the south as well, it was in much worse shape. Things sure are sweet once you fix em up...if you can find parts for em.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
We couldn't have had a better platform to start with. It has a straighter body than my duramax. If I remember right there is less than a quart of Bondo in the entire truck. The color is great, pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. It is still curing to, I can't wait till we are able to wax it. The seats are out of a pt cruiser. Bolted right to the factory bracket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I missed this thread originally. That turned out awesome. I learned to drive a manual in one of those in my uncle's pasture when I was 11 or 12. I've loved those things ever since. There's a guy around here that has probably a couple dozen assorted International Scouts, pickups, and Travelalls.